How should I handle non payers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AP Lawn Care, Jun 3, 2010.

1. AP Lawn Care

AP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I really haven't had to deal with this but I was mowing a new property yesterday and already worked out a deal with the lady that she could pay me monthly. I see the landlord because it's a rental property use it as a chance to tell him who I am and give some business cards when he tells me she's horrible the worse renter he has and he would make her pay me up front for everything. I say s#*t and now I'm worried she isn't going to pay me. If she doesn't how have some of you handle these situations?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Put it on her credit record and have the collection agency send her letters. will do it cheap.
  3. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

bug the hell out of her until she gets so annoyed that she pays and then never work for her again...this is if she DOES NOT pay so give it to the end of the month and see if she pays
  4. theminigardener7

theminigardener7 LawnSite Member

if it lasts long enough, small claims court
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wait, don't assume the worst, you just cut it.

Maybe she doesn't pay the landlord on time because he goes behind her back talking smack,
    like the other day I think he was telling some lawn guy how bad a renter she is.

And maybe not but give the customer the time she deserves.

Yeah, gotta give her that time first, just wait, try and relax.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  6. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

I like the idea of debtors prison but it probably won't work in today's enlightened society.
  7. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Give her the benefit of the doubt first, then if she doesnt pay, bug the hell outta her, show up at her door at 7am every day and pound on it until she answers, nothing illegal about this either. I like the idea of a private collection "agency" that does more than send mail and make phone calls if you know what I mean!!
  8. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Sounds like she may be leaving in 3 and a half weeks.
  9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

AP lawncare: I've had this issue in the past. Stay away from renters at all costs!! They will try everything in the book to get free mowing out of you, give you stories that the check is in the mail, etc. Try sending a demand for payment letter and specify that payment is due in 10 days from the date of the letter. There's examples of demand for payment letters online and also through quickbooks. You can try olddebts or other collection type agencies, but use them as a last resort since they cost extra money. And most important, drop her!!
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

one thing I did was make a deal with the landlord to raise their rent by X number of dollars and then I charge the landlord who pays me and he takes it out of the tenants rents. plus the landlord can claim the lawn care a business(rental) expense. if he gave me enough properties he got his yard cut for free....