1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How should I price and cut hilly terrain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Q-Lawn, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Q-Lawn

Q-Lawn LawnSite Member
    from De & PA

I have the chance to bid on a commercial property that is about 300 yards long and 25 feet wide but with a very steep hill on one side and a major street on the other. The hill is to steep for any mower (I think) So Need advice on pricing it and what to use on it if I get the account.
  2. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

Around here what is done, is it is cut with a hydro WB and on a 45* angle. I have seen some REALLY impressive hills cut that I would not even attempt myself and when done right, look absolutely awsome! I am talking 40-50* hills. As far as pricing, I am not sure what commercial property goes for in your area, but I would bid it a little on the high side, because it will take you longer to cut it. I wouldn't worry about the major road on the one side. Is there any way for you to post a pic of the site? Might be able to get a better idea of what you will be working with.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah a picture would be nice.

I cut a similar property which is about the same size. This is along a major interstate, and the hill goes right down to the road. I dont have access to get a mower on it (wouldnt try if I could).
    I use a Stihl FS200R hand-held trimmer. I have been doing it for years and I can make it look great. It takes me about 3 hours to cut it by hand. Someone who is not use to it I would say 5-6 hours. I had help one time and I was doing it twice as fast as the helper, so I know times are close.
    I usually cut it every two weeks since its not a lawn. Its hard on the ankles but the per hour income is great!

PM me for more details including prices.