How Should I Spend $3750.00???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jgautreau, Dec 1, 2003.

1. jgautreau

jgautreau LawnSite Member

I am receiving a grant from the city for $3000 and I will be putting up $750 of my own money with it, giving me $3750 to spend on starting my business. I thought the first thing I should do is buy a trailer, so I priced one at $1200, it's a 6 X 10 Landscape trailer with a two foot box up top and 2 foot solid sides with a four foot ramp. I also thought of buying a 36" WB and a shindawa trimmer. Can anyone suggest just how I should spend this money to best start my business? Thanks...

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jgaut...--you have $2550 left after trailer. a GOOD used belt drive 36 in wb would be good for you...and that might run you about $1500. you are down to $1050 so a good trimmer and backpack blower is gonna take most of that. but don't forget...insurance and licenses. you are now in the hole, but good luck.

GEO

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

geogunn said it all! There is no need for anything else to get started.

4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Business insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER WORK WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

find a cheaper trailer. im getting a 16x6.5 tandem for 1150.00 with 4ft sides and a 2 ft box at the front in a few months. find a better price.

6. jgautreau

jgautreau LawnSite Member

Where from EagleScout?

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Oh sweet, you're in the same state as me. The place is called Texas Truck and Trailer. They are in Mt. Pleasant, TX.
    Directions here.
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...pn=&2l=q01%2fx5uBTRg%3d&2g=%2f7Rr3hWPO%2fM%3d

its about 6 hours away from you. might not be worth you're time unless you're sometimes in that area.

The guys name is Kevin and his number is 903 577 9511. hope that helps.
    i bought a 5x10 single axle with 4 ft sides earlier this year for 625 out the door. i called wednesday and he had it built and painted by friday

8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

jwingfield2k,

I purchased a new trailer in October from Big Tex in Mt Pleasant. Got a sweet deal by going and picking it up. I saved about 80)$ doing that. That allowed me to upgrade to hydraulic assisted gates, Ladder rack, line trimmer racks, side gate with assits etc. I will do it again when i'm ready for a new trailer.

Tim

9. parboy

parboy LawnSite Member

If your willing to buy a used mower why not a used trailer? I see used 6x12 trailers all day long for less than $800. May need some tires or wiring , but thats cheap and easy. Just a thought. Good luck!

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it goes without saying that there is always cheaper.

I didn't propose a cheaper trailer because he said he'd already looked at one.

I personally think that 10 foot long is too short. I have a 12 foot long and run out of room.

a 6.5 X 16, NEW is available here everyday for $750. add $100 for brakes on one axle.

GEO