1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How small of an operation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mabrito88, Aug 20, 2013.

1. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

I don't look at high end business, too much. The last one I visited insisted on bagging, which I don't do. She expressed frustration with the crew that did her yard, because they never came when She wanted them to. I told her I could be responsive within a day, but no bagging. How much? I said $75.00 first time and we'd see, after that.
    She said the two man crew was doing it for $25.00 and it took them an hour. How can anyone send out a crew for that kind of money? I figured it for about two hours. If less, I would have lowered the price, but still no bagging. I did not get the job. Lucky me, I think.
  2. Northeastbama

Northeastbama LawnSite Member

I like this guy^ I can't stand the jerks that think they own the town... I like my small overhead. That way the customer & I both feel good afterwards . Jerks think I'm going broke I didn't support my wife through med school for nothing ;)
  3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I have a old Toyota Camry that's beat up. Once in a while I'll ride around with a push mower in the trunk and a trimmer sticking out the back, just for fun. :)
  4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you know the answer to this one: The crew wasn't doing it for $25.

I picked up a client who quotes this type of pricing on everything she's had done in the past. I do a lot of work for her, but, stick to my guns, as she uses her elderly-ness to try and make me feel guilty and charge less. For her to do this to me is insulting. My time and equipment are worth something.
  5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a jerk like that, here. He doesn't wave at or talk to any of the other lawn guys. I was talking to the most senior LCO we have (36yrs in business), the other night. He was like "I'm going to give you a list of every customer that dude has. I want you to bid every one of his properties, for next year.". I had to laugh.

Heck, I wave at anyone with a mower in tow.
  6. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

She and her husband run a big Auto Repair place in town. I asked her if she thought they could really operate at $25. Then she said she'd be willing to pay more, if I could bag it. I still walked away. Funny, too. Since then I have picked up a 46" rider with a bagger. It works well. I'm NOT going to call her, though. I'm going to try it out on leaves this Fall.
  7. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

My cousin started with 2 push mowers in the back of an old ford ranger back in the 80's, now he is one of the largest in our area with the exception of brickman.