How soon can I re-fertilize lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SeatTime, Apr 27, 2004.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime LawnSite Member

New member here and glad to have found this site...
    This Spring I put down Halts crabgrass preventer; however, it's done nothing for other broadleaf weeds/dandelions. How long should I wait before putting down a round of broadleaf control fertilizer? Do I risk burning the lawn if I do it too soon?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

generally, no sooner than six weeks between applications.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It appears that Halts crabgrass preventer has 30% nitrogen in it. I haven't found how much of this nitrogen is quick release and how much is slow release, but the risk of burning the lawn increases with certain factors. Adding more nitrogen won't necessarily burn the lawn, but adding more quick release types of nitrogen, such as ammonium sulfate, could give you problems. Also, if you don't water in most of these fertilizers you could have problems, or another problem that is common is that people tend to "drop" a little too much fertilizer in spots, such as at overlapping pivot points.

My suggestion, since you've already put down some nitrogen and want to target broadleaf weeds is to use a pump type of sprayer with a liquid form of 2,4-D as the active ingredient and target just the weeds.

When to fertilize again will depend upon how quickly the nitrogen you put down leaches through the soil. Is your lawn already turning yellow?

4. SeatTime

SeatTime LawnSite Member

Thank you Grassmechanic and Critical Care for such quick responses...

Critical Care, no my lawn isn't turning yellow; quite the opposite, it's as green and healthy as I can remember. I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself in wanting to attack the broadleaf stuff. I can certainly wait several more weeks...it's just that the first round (Halts) worked such wonders, I'm getting greedy for the finishing touches :p