How soon is to soon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Feb 27, 2001.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mulching job that I'm doing for a new customer. Their current lawn guy did an horrible job last year and are learry about hire someone else and just want to do it themselves. I was planning on giving them a free mow when I mulched to show them how good I am. The problem is he wants it mulched 1st week of march. Would it hurt the grass if I went ahead and mowed it? I've looked to see what could happen but the only thing I have found was basicaly don't mow until it's ready to mow, with no metion of what could happen if it wasn't ready.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

You will be doing the lawn a favor.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I have been mulching leaves all winter and I have cut several places since it has been dormant, I hope it is alright, oh well - I am insured!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd say cut, I've never killed any yet cutting it while it was dormant.
  4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

By mowing it early you can help yourself all around. The spring is coming up and you (as will we all) be swamped with calls and having to do bids around your regular schedule. When you mow it early then you get the lawn into manageable shape so that you arent wasting as much time when time is so important to you.

I am starting this next week, so i hope that it isnt too early as well.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont think it would hurt to mow it. youd only be getting the grass to start lifting and get the winter crap off it. i say go for it
  6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

MOW,MOW,MOW,MOW,AND MOW SOME MORE!!!!!!!!Go ahead and do it..It will get all the trash off of it and get it to growing faster...Derrick
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We perform an inital mowing when we start Spring Clean-Ups in late March or early April. I have been under the impression that you guys are about 3 weeks ahead of us.

Keeping this in mind I say go for it Buddy Row, as long as there is no frost to contend with. If you are still receiving frosts every other night I would advise against it.

Hope this helps.
  8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Why is that? I have heard the same thing and havnt mowed while frosty, but i dont know why that is.

Thanks for the help
    Acute Cut
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The main reason is that by running the machinery over the turf when it is frosted it becomes brittle and you are actually breaking the turf instead of cutting it.

Just like anything, bruised or damaged tissue is susceptible to disease and fungus. The other thing is that the turf will show brown tracks where you have walked and the wheels have been.

Hope this helps.
  10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Grass must be one of the toughest plants known to man. In the spring the grass is going to grow so fast that I have never see any damage from 1, 2, or 3 mowings in early spring mowings. Most books say about mowing after winter is as soon as weather permits. I have mowed frost covered grass before, I have even mowed when snow was covering certain spots of the yards. Worst thing is it is just soooo dang cold.

I in theory agree with Kris about possible damage to grass under these conditions, but I think they are really slim ones.