how soon is too soon

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmoney, Mar 25, 2007.

1. dmoney

dmoney LawnSite Member

I am in the minneapolis area and with the temps getting into the 60s and 70s and no snow on the ground starting to get a little itchy to put down some fert. How soon is too soon to start this

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

You have hit a real sore spot with me. The earliest I will put down any nitrogen is May 15. I might make an exception for a lawn that has not had any fertilizer for several years but even I doubt the benefits of that. I attended a one week turfgrass seminar this past February put on by the University of Wisconsin and Minnesota. The professors agree that early nitrogen leads to too much top growth which results in pressure on the roots and can lead to problems later in the year. If you need to put down a pre-emergent use either Lifeguard, Dimension in a WSP form or Dimension EC which is in a liquid form. If all you can put down is granular use 0-0-7 from Lesco. I lost a customer because I didn't put down nitrogen as soon as she wanted it. I told her I do what is best for your lawn, not for my pocketbook. I figure if I do it the right way I will have more than enough customers. Please don't go down the TGCL route. I am sure they are out there putting down straight Urea already when the grass isn't even green yet. Remember, 2/3 of your nitrogen should go down after Labor Day.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I agree with not putting down too much N in the spring, but I think the lawns needs some. I go with a 13-3-7 30%scu with dim.(split apps) for my spring applications starting in March. if its a new customer I use 19-3-6 30%scu just to give them a little more green-up if needed. I like to put higher N amounts down in the fall.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

When do you guys put down Pre em?

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, TG/CL has been out for a couple weeks here with urea. I would suggest figuring out when you'd like to have your accounts finished by, and then backing up from there to figure out when to start. i.e. you want your preemergent down by May 11th and you have 20 days of applications to do, so you'd start April 16th. You can plug in the dates and your workload, but that's my suggestion.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

7. FdLLawnMan

When I start seeing soil temps in the mid 40's for several days in a row then I start applying. Crabgrass germinates when it the soil is 50 degrees 72 hours in a row. Purdue says better to be a little earlier than to late.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

With newer products you can get out a little earlier for sure. We do ours late feb/ early march.

9. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with not much if any nitrogen on 1st app. I put down 5-5-25 with .38 barricade this year. Nitrogen seems to be the quick fix anymore instead of having healthy turf.

10. FdLLawnMan

I have used Dimension because of cost and it will kill crabgrass up to the second tiller stage. I know Barricade is very popular down south but I have not seen the need to use it. It was a bad year for crabgrass last year and my customers had very little breakthrough.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care