how soon to mow sod?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 clowns mowing, Aug 17, 2006.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i have a new customer that has new sod on the ground. they have been watering it quit a lot. the sod doesn't seem to be growing roots into the dirt. is it because they been watering so much? do you need to only water a little then let the sod to grow roots? or no watering at all? it's been dry here in ohio and the top of the sod looks like it's dying where the water hasn't reached. by not watering at first would the grass die or would it grow roots faster? needless to say i took my walker over the grass and turned up the sod in places so i mowed with my trim mower.

2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know what type of grass you are speaking of. Down here we get Bermuda, St. Augustine, Centipede and Zoysia. Generally the roots will take between 2 to 3 weeks to get into the ground. All you have to do is pull up a small section to check and see. If the roots are established then it is time to cut. Usually on new sod we will cut every 2 weeks for the first month or so. After that you should be able to cut it every week. Down here you have to water new sod every day for a minimum of 2 weeks. I do not know your customers watering habits but if they did not water properly chances are that sod will go to waste.

3. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Whats up Yellow Springs Kettering here! Anyhow water the sod every day for about the first 6 to 8 weeks til the corners wont come up in the corners preferably in the morning to avoid disease and such. Dont mow it for about a 3 or 4 week and then only with a push mower for a little bit. If you need to replace any sod for the customer head up to Green Velvet Sod Farms up by the end of 675 by 70. They also have good chemicals and fert there for cheap.