How soon to send out info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Jan 5, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

An area competitor - more in the line of fert/spray programs sent all there letters out right after x-mas. Discount for perpayment, the whole nie yards. It this to soon or should I consider getting our programs out in the mail. What do you guys do.
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Um. . .wait 'till April - that way the customers will get mine first!payup

Just kiddin', I'd say they shot them out too early, but if they have the budget to do that, it is just more advertising which will increase top-of-mind-awareness. Good for them. I don't know your area, but be sure to send your info out BEFORE people realize their lawn needs attention. After they've had a chance to think whether they are going to do their lawn, or have someone else do it, you are too late because the decision has already been made and action has been taken.
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't do prepay on anything but full maintenance, its just a hard sell around here. The couple of guys that do usually have theirs sent out in Nov. or Dec. asking folks to sign and send payment in shortly after the first of the year.

I personally don't care for it though JMO and it is a hard sell mainly because guys would sell it, spend all the dang money before season starts. When applications start the prepays would be last on the list because these guys need the money to bad and focus on the billable ones first. I have picked up a good number of application customers slow but steady because of prepay.
    Again JMO if it works for you I'd say get the letters out ASAP, I don't think you can be to early as long as there is a deadline for returning signed with payment.
  4. mkjsunscapes

mkjsunscapes LawnSite Member

The first year that we offered weed&feed etc. to my accounts, several of them said they already contracted in January with a large co. like Chemlawn. Since then we have always sent our offers out Jan 2nd.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't start any earlier than February, but like ^ said those big companies might be signing up now. But the question is, how many customers are going for it, you may have a select few that care that much to sign on in January, but is the bulk of the market signing that early, I don' thtink so.