How soon to spray new sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by johnsonslawnmanagement, Aug 6, 2007.

1. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

i have recently had a customer ask me to do weed control application on his newly sodded zoysia lawn. I was just wondering when is it safe to begin weed control applications on new sod? Not just zoysia, but bermuda also. when is it safe?
  2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i personally would not touch new sod with a herbicide for atleast 3 months and that's if it has been established properly... i might be over cautious but 1 month to get roots to spike 2 more for good measure.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Bug Guy,

Why would you have to wait for 2-3 months for sod, when we apply herb over a new lawn after it has been mowed 3-4 times (which is probably about 6 weeks)?

Just curious!
  4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

well the sod was done in two phases, one last november and one this april. I just didnt want to be too hasty about my first application. Wouldnt want to replace 25000 sq. ft. of zoysia, ha!
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Cut out a small section in a place that is not seen too easily and check the roots. If they are down about 6" or so and moist with lots of soil handing on them, then you should be OK for a light application. In this heat and drought, nothing is really OK 100%. I'd advise him to hold off until things cool off a bit anyway and explain your hesitance.