How steep is too steep for a "Z"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sooners, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Anyone ever flip a Z? I have a 60" Lazer and if a hill is too steep going horizontil I start slipping so the back goes down. I have some steep hills mowing vertical and I stop when the front wheels come off the ground. I know there's a chart with every mower showing the angle and no doubt I'm over that. I'm just curious how far is too far.

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I wanted to measure this one but forgot angle divisor yesterday. This one I take slow and wouldn't want too much more. It does rut some.

kuhnhill.jpg

3. 1grnlwn

This ones not too steep just a HP hog.

kuhnhill1.jpg

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is a good thread for me to keep up with since I'm considering going from a Lawn Tractor to a ZTR next year. I haven't had enough demo seat time to convince myself a ZTR is right for me. Pictures are a good way to get a better Idea of limitations. I've gotten so much conflicting info that I dont know which end is up!

I change patterns every week like in the second pic. I lay 4 striping patterns if possible. So it has to be able to handle it any way I want.

PLEASE...Could you all list the equipment used?

5. 1grnlwn

Sure, Ferris 61" IS back suspension only. 23 HP.

Mark

6. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Tractor mowers aren't without an element of danger either. I rolled my 42" while turning sharp left going downhill. Luckily I jumped clear. I just don't know how I'd get out of my Z with the sticks. But the best move I've ever made was buying that ZTR. More than doubled my money this year in less time.

7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have foundthat the three wheel riders like the scag STHM work real good on heels. Also it is easier to bail out of than a ZTR but has most of the same capabilites.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Mark,

Boy, and to think someone told me those Ferris mowers wouldn't stripe. Man did they ever tell a big one! Those stripes look great! I would have guessed it was a Dixie Chopper w/stripe kit.

Sooners,

No they are not. I've been on mine long enough to feel as "one" with it. I know it's limitations and I push it to the edge. It's a very stable machine as far as tip over is conserned and usually lets me down in some other area before reaching that point ot no return where it's just gone. What I mean by that is any hill it will go up, it can come down safely. Any hill that's too steep to cross safely without tip over conserns, it begins sliping down or just lacks getting enough traction to go any farther.

Knowing me, I would have crashed it before now if it wasn't that way. I grew up racing dirtbikes & ATV's and did some completely crazy trail riding. There again pushing to the edge....
    And sometimes over :blush:

longveiwlawncare,

I have to agree with you there too. Front mount ZTR's seem more stable to me. I saw a Grasshopper front mount on a hill that would challenge me. That made me a believer. Walkers even have a lock on the tail wheel I believe that might help out side hilling. I bet some mid-mount builder adds a foot controlled caster locking device in the future if the lock really does help at all.

Seems to me the thing about mid-mounts is...
    - Once you break traction you loose all steering along with it.
    - A good bit of weight has to be out front to keep it balanced going uphill, which reduces traction downhill. Boy you got a 1,000 lb sled if you get one started.
    - My experience is when side hilling, if that upper tire breaks loose, that nose turns downhill, then the sled part sets in until you reach the bottom.....

What if that bottom is a lake, pond, retaining wall or a fence??? OUCH!

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Envy Lawn Service wrote:

I bet some mid-mount builder adds a foot controlled caster locking device in the future if the lock really does help at all.

I think Dixie Chopper has or did have a optional caster lock.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i can take my lazer with new turfsavor tires up about any thing i could a wb.
    been usin wts on front for a while now. got the idea from eric elm. still the wt of the machine can dig a little . just depends on the type soil and turf.
    my wb has been dn for a while now .
    im bout to get use to doing without it.
    concerning flipping these things. i worried about backward flip until it tried to happen once. the motor housing acted as a stop. as far as side flipping ,i dont do a hill side way anyhow . but their too low to flip unless u hit a root or something in the middle of a slide dn hill
    ps mine is a lazer so dont count on all motors on all ztrs to act as a stop.cant say they would..