How Steep Of A Grade Can A 23HP Kawasaki Take Before Starving The Engine OF Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITL, Jun 10, 2006.

1. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

How steep of a grade can a 23 HP Twin Kawasaki take before starving the engine of oil supply. Could you hear a sound difference in the engine if the oil pickup was pulling air. We use a 52 inch stander to mow some long ditches and decorative landscaping berms that I am estimating are around 30 degrees. The Stander will hold the hill and even turn up for the next pass but wondering if the engine will have shorter life due to the oil supply being affected on banks/grades.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

In my experience you cant get on a steep enough slope to cause any engine damage.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The engine is full pressure lube, if it were splash lube, or critically low on oil you might have to worry.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The mower will flip or slide before the engine is starved of oil.
  5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Lawnsite Team

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will start loosing ground traction, slip sliding and dirty my drawers before the engine is starved of oil at the pickup tube.

Thanks again

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you run a conventional oil, it is only a matter of time before one seizes on you.

Run a synthetic oil (blend or full), and watch all your oil-related problems disappear.

I learned the hard way myself but it only took one frozen block before I made the switch.
    It was running on flat ground, I had forgot to check the oil ONE time, it was hardly 1/2 quart low, still around the Add line.