How Tall Before A Double Cut $$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FordManKubotaDreamer, Jan 29, 2006.

1. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

How tall is the grass before you give a double cut price??? :dizzy:

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

double cut price? charge for seasonal mowing, not "per cut" and you'll live long and prosper

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hard to answer your question really. If this is a one time deal I would charge 3X the normal rate, if it is a normal customer that is resuming service for whatever reason, I will eat the cost.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't go measure the grass before I cut and if it exceeds like 6 inches I will double cut and charge double. I double cut based on looks when the first cut is complete and then if need be, charge accordingly. This year I will be mulching, so hopefully most if not all of my double cutting will be eliminated.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You have to go by how clean a cut you leave on the first pass, and how much your machine labors. If it's a weekly customer then I will not charge for a double cut. Most of the time when I double cut it's to satisfy myself, because there is nothing like a defined strip, and a perfect flat cut.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

well said. you obviously care about the quality of your work

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Left that part out of my original post, I double cut most of my lawns regardless of height because it really evens out the cut and gets any stringers that are remaining. As Jpocket said, it is and should be to satisfy yourself, take pride in your work.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The height of the grass doesn't dictate the need for double cutting. There are too many other factors there. Bottom line, it is the end result. Some of the factors? Other than height,..Thickness. This also determines the amount of material left laying on top. Moisture conditions. This determines how it disperses, if it is real wet and cloddy or clumpy, or if it is dry makes a substantial difference. Existing air conditions. Try double cutting wet grass on a day that is cool, cloudy, and alot of moisture in the air, then try double cutting on a day that is dry, warm, and sunny out. The sun, even when it is cool out, dries the clippings much faster than when it is cloudy.
    Another factor, is the type(s) of blades you are running for the conditions. Sharpness? A razor sharp blade will make a SIGNIFICANT difference over a dull blade. This is why we change our blades out religiously everyday, and always carry extras just in case they need to be changed out mid-day.
    As far as the double cut policy, for our regular customers, we charge them enough to cover it if necessary. It takes a FRACTION of the time to double as it does to cut the first time.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

runner, do u charge by the "cut". and if so, do u bill extra, if, for example you missed a week due to rain, and the following week, it needed alot more attention like, tripple cutting, extra cleanup of excessive grass on walks, etc.

10. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I agree with Jpocket as I do the same.