1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how tall to cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cclllc, Jun 17, 2001.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

i have a lawn that has a lot of trees and where grass is hard to get to grow.I have sowed it with almost 100 percent creeping red and was wondering how short to keep it cut.Also what about thatch buildup in the shade?Thanks.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The fescues generally like to be cut lower than most sunny cultivars, i.e. Kentucky Bluegrass, etc.. Most fescues grow better at a height of 1.5 to 2.5 inches, however, this is a little difficult since most of the other lawn is usually a sunny blend that likes to be cut higher. Therefore, I usually just cut my fescues at a higher height as well. It doesn't hurt it, it just has a tendency to lay it down more in each direction. I hope this helps. :)
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

tennesee fescue is better at 31/2 or more during
    hot summer.some people want it real short cause everybody else is doing it but that where you show them why it should be left longer.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What were the results of a soil test?
  5. cclllc

The lawn is about an acre with around 150 trees.Part of it is irrigated although the trees seem to soak up most of the water.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Did you see my question? Was a soil test taken?

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Fescues are recommended to be cut heigher. Especially in the hot south. Root development is in direct relation to leaf growth. The heigher you cut it the deeper the roots. 3.25" and up would be ideal. I cut my fescue at 3.25 and go up to 4" once the drought starts.
  8. cclllc

No we haven't had a soil test done.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

3 1/2 to 4 1/2 as heat appraoches. dave g
  10. cclllc

will shade reduce the breakdown of grass clippings and cause more thatch?