How the H bar works?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MTR, Dec 22, 2003.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hi, everyone, I just like to know how the H bar works..
    When you do 180 turn as starting a new path how you do? Do you have to twist handle while another twisted the opposite way? Or just turn the pivoting handle like bicycle (fixed bar) and the drive wheels will automatically do the Z turn (one forward, one backward) by itself? or you have to twist in opposite direction on each handle?

Please explain how it works and how to work it the "right" way to do the 180 or 360 turn cause this is important knowing something before checking out the SWB 48/23.

best regards,
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

To go forward with the H-Bar you simply twist the bar forward, for reverse you do the opposite.
    As you twist the H-Bar forward it increases the speed.
    The bar is a single unit, it does not twist on each end.
    To turn you simply push on the H-Bar in the direction you wish to go, just like a bicycle.
    The linkage design allows for the H-Bar to automatically adjust wheel speed in turns and in zero turns.
    The faster you push it in either direction the faster it will turn.
    I am sure Pete will chime in here and give you some more info from his perspective.
    If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The short form on how to turn the SWB/ h bar is while turning the bar in the direction you want to turn, also slowly twist the bar backwards. This turns and slows the machine at the same time. Holding this position will result in the inside wheel coming to a stop as you continue to turn. At this point (with the inside wheel stopped), just continue to twist the bar backwards, "and" turn the bar more in the direction of choice. The machine then will perform a beautiful zero turn as the inside wheel now reverses direction as the outside wheel continues through the turn.
    Now, when the machine has changed direction, straighten the bar and relax your grip allowing the spring to return the machine to a full stopped position and you are ready to move forward at any speed you choose.
    As you get better, you’ll find the machine actually turns better with one hand. I usually just stop my walking when I want to turn. This starts the machine turning since my stopped hand now pulls the bar in the direction I want to turn. Also, because the machine is still moving forward and my hand will not move, I just bend my wrist back a tad and it also twists the bar backwards, all in one smooth motion. Since the machine will now turn around me, I just let it pivot, saving me walking in a small circle. Then, just let the bar straighten, twist forward on the bar, and I’m on my next pass. This method saves 3 or 4 steps, which easily ends up being 100 steps, which on a hot day is a welcome relief.
  4. MTR

from Florida

Thank you for great info.
    Wow, this sounds good, a single bar no twisted end, I like the idea, looks like it is simple. Now, what about people griping about divots and things, is this meant they don't know how to turn correctly. I know it sounds easy reading Pete's reply but I have to really ride one and know the truth.
    Thanks again for info, as soon as my town 's dealer has SWB in stock, I really have to test drive one.
  5. Doc Pete

OK, I’ll explain and you can tell me what you think. Again, I’ll try for the “short form”. Any and all control systems, twin stick, Wright mfg., Exmark ECS plus any pistol grips all require both hands on each lever to properly coordinate any and all turning (including zero turns). Simply put, this is because each lever separately controls each pump.
    This naturally means any movement of the machine in any direction demands both hands working together to make the machine track correctly while turning, backing up, zero turning or “ANYTIME” the levers are not full extended and mowing at full speed (set by the speed lever).
    On the other hand, the H bar links both pumps together so “every input of the bar gives equals inputs to each pump”. This occurs whenever the bar is “twisted”.
    To continue, the H bar also bi-directionally links both pumps together whenever it is “turned”. This means that as you turn the bar, one pump (wheel) is given more speed, while the other pump (wheel) is slowed, all in equal amounts and all automatically without the need of each hand separately performing the task.
    Finally, the h bar is spring loaded so anytime the bar is not turning left or right, it will automatically center itself and allow the machine to track straight, either forward or backwards.
    Now unless I’m really missing something, the only reason guy’s have trouble with the h bar is because they have been using pistol style (including ECS) grips for so long that they just don’t want to take a day or two to adjust to something better.
    And, if I’m wrong, “YOU” go over the facts and tell me how come, I’d love to know.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

It really is amazingly simple and effortless to use. If it doesnt perform well, let someone know becuase from what Pete has told me, they only work when setup correctly(which isnt always).
  7. MTR

from Florida

Pete, there is no question, the H bar system that you described absolutely fantastic, as simple as what you said, turning without squeezing or gripping...
    Now, I just want to know one more, how durable or how tough that drive linkages and system of the H bar that automatically turn or operate the pumps to perform equally according to each turn applied, will it be as durable as Hustler 's deck? How expensive things like these if needed repair. How long have you ridden your SWB, how many hours on your SWB, and under what conditions your SWB been through, if possible, would you mind sharing?
    I think given me 3 or 4 weeks riding H bar, I would be in the zone like how I learn pistol grips. I saw those guys on H bar/sulky so fast, fastest for WB, that makes Z outdated and boring, and it seems so easier than Stander or others ' system.

Thank You for great info.
  8. Doc Pete

The h bar linkage uses tie rod ends just like your car. They are of high quality metal and with almost 600 hours on my number one machine there is still zero slop. Many of the better Z riders use tie rod ends, too.
    Frankly, all of the components of Hustlers WB’s are overbuilt. I’m sure once you see the SWB in person; you will realize the effort and strength put into the machine. SWB’s basically have no plastic on them and all metal parts are welded and much thicker than they need to be. At this time, I’ve only replaced one pump belt on any of my three h bars and that was from getting a stick caught under the machine.
    As an example of overbuilding, my “original” 17 horse 54 inch, which after my modifications became the prototype for the SWB has about 300 hours with the “25 horsepower” Kawasaki motor running highlift doubles, and the “stock clutch” is still fine.
    As I said, when the see the SWB in person, by its size and construction you’ll be happy.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is new with the H bar for 2004 vs. 2003? I think Pete mentioned on some other thread about cruise control on the SWB. Will this be on the 37" WB?
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The next generation H-Bar will have a lever cruise control, this generation will be introduced on a new series of walk behinds sometime in 2004.
    I can not release any other info at this time.