How the tracked machines performing in sand?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Squizzy246B, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I'm keen to know how the tracked or VTS equipped skid steer machines perform in the sand. About 90% of my work is in sand. Lowering the tyre pressure helps heaps but then sand works its way into the rim/bead and the tyres go down.

2. Squizzy246B

C, mon guys...Nobody works in the sand with a tracked machine???

3. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

i have a friend that has a resort on sand lake in minn and he has a jd 250 with over the tire steel tracks and they work great . if he didnt have the tracks on he wouldnt get around verry well every thing he works in is sand .another friend has a jd 260 with rubber tracks they work well also

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have all kinds of soils, and on sand, the 257B works pretty well. I had to go out and dig a slope slide off the beach a few weeks back, some lady reading her book and the slope shearred off from the water we had this last winter. They never got the lady out in time, but we did get the sand cleared off the beach. Never even broke traction while digging, but there is a certain technique you will need to learn to optimize usage of your machine.

The bid question. Is your sand dry, or wet, and is it round edged or hard chisel edged? Round edged dry sand is impossible without an LGP (Low Ground Pressure) machine, those are the ones with the tracks twice as wide as standard, and to my knowledge, noone makes a compact track driven loader that will accept LGP style tracks.

All in all, tracks in the sand will blow tires away.

5. Squizzy246B

In Western Australia we are commonlly (colloquially) referred to as SandGropers because you name the sand we have it. All our coast and most of our inland are just various types of sand. In some areas around Perth we have a really fine grey sand that has no guts whatsoever. Its bottomless and moving is just a challenge, always up to the belly plate. The most common is our a yellow or "builders" sand. When we are building limestone walls we often just dig it up on site.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Are there any maintenance issue with operation in the sand?. I ask although all the mini-excavators locally are on rubber tracks but an excavator is never doing the miles a skid does. Also I have noticed that it mainly depends on the operator.

Thank you for the replies :)