How Thick Is Yours !

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STONE SCAPES, Feb 24, 2007.

1. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

Just wondering what your typical base depth for walks and patios for pedestrians. Was thinking of offering a 8" compacted base as our standard base. Try and out base the compaction. Tell me what you think.:weightlifter:

2. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

ICPI says atleast 4" for pedastrian and at least 6" for vehicles.

I would never do 6" for a driveway, at least 8", usually 10" to 12"

You should be Ok depending on soils and use with 4" under a small walk or patio, but we ALWAYS use atleast 6".

We dont use fabric much but after hearing how much some of my elders use it on here, I will start using it on at the least all drives for extra assurance. Chris and DVS use fabric on almost all paver installs, and they have been doing this alot longer thann me. Thats telling me something.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

6" for walks and patios and 12-18" on vehicular apps. (depends on type and size of vehicles using the drive) Always use fabric. From the smallest walk to the largest drive.

Chris

4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the fabric go after you excavate and on top of the compacted base? Or on top of the uun compacted earth

5. STONE SCAPES

What I ment to say was I was going to advertise the extra thick base. Telling the customer we do 8" of base and most others only do 4"-6". Sorry it was late and just got home form the winter job.

6. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Well that sounds great but what if in your area you don't need that much base? I guess in Massachusetts though building it a little stronger would be great. I wouldn't ever need that much base for a walkway since the soil here is sandy so it would just be a waste of the customers money.

7. STONE SCAPES

Would sell it as extra ins. Never can have enough of that.lolol. Have done this on a couple of other jobs last year and the customers face was surprised in a good way. Their comment was WOW you dig down that deep. Also how much more does it really cost to dig another 4". In the grand scope of the job not much more. Plus they are getting a perceived value. The old if 4 is good then 8 is great. Not to mention when the know it all neighbor comes over to see it give the home owner a little more ammo. We all know this guy, comes over when any thing is done and say's you should have done it this way. MAN I HATE THAT GUY !:hammerhead:

8. STONE SCAPES

Give IPCI time they'll change to thicker a base. lol

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Fabric should be installed over your compacted sub base.

Chris

10. STONE SCAPES

Most defiantly!