1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How this deal...1997 Chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mow king, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Another landscaper has a 1997 Chevy 2500 extended cab short bed with 79k miles on it.

Has an exhaust leak, pretty sure manifolds.
    Little or no rust.
    7.5 Meyers Poly plow.
    Decent tires
    A good amount of dings and dents and the interior is pretty beat.

It $5k a good deal?

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

JUMP NOW!!! that truck won't stay long at that price.
  3. mow king

Well he's asking a lot more, I spent awhile negotiating though.

I'm going back with a more mechanically inclined buddy to look it over tomorrow.
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That is a fairly common problem, I think GM has a different manifold to fix the problem.
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Its very common for those to have a cracked manifold. It probably heated up from towing then cracked. I've really only seen that with trucks that tow. Other than that it seems like a decent deal. Where I live there has been a pretty clean 97 chevy2500 with an older Fisher plow for sale for a couple of months, he's asking around 8k with almost 100k on it.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

yes $5,000 is a good deal for a 97
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i would take it granted no major mechanical issues besides the exhaust
  8. mow king

No major, I'm sure it needs some things though...like ujoints for example.
  9. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

my insurance just totaled my 98 long bed and paid me 11,250.
    for 5,000 you cant go wrong...

10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would walk away. I bought a 98 GMC 3500 4x4 longbed regular cab this spring with 130k on it in perfect condition, not a scratch on it or a blemish on the inside. My neighbor keeps bugging me if I want to sell it. Walked out the door tax, tags, title for $6,900. I think the tax alone came to $750. I'm not exactly sure what we came up with for the base price. I offered the dealer 6 for it and he said hell no basically, but when I told him I had 65 $100 bills in my pocket he sat back down and started to run the numbers.

God only knows what that truck has been through. KBB books it for 6900 in fair condition, but I'm willing to bet that that thing has been road hard and put up wet, if it was even put up at all. Snow plows will beat the hell out of a vehicle.

Ask him why he is getting rid of it. Any Landscaping can always use an extra truck so why is he selling?