How tight is the spindle nut for the blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Wolf, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

I'm having trouble trying to loosen a spindle nut on top of the blade for a 32" wb bradley. Does the nut turn couter-clockwise and is it that tight to remove it. I followed the instructions to use a two 15/16 " wrench, I cannot even budge it. Tried a half inch drive socket with cheater pipe and still cannot loosen. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, most use an impact socket, pneumatic or electric both work well. I personally use a wrench braced somewhere on top and a 20'' ratchet.
  3. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

THAT IS bad when that happens I use a impact wrench to change blades on my scag. Well the next to last time I was going to do a quick change had one that was refusing to budge I eneded up using a 4 to 1 multiplier socket wrench on it to get it loose . So now I am back using a torque wrench again till I get in a hurry again and forget it Good luck
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Do you have a service station nearby where they know you? You could just swing in and have them take it off.
  5. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Yeah, that is what I was thinking go to a automotive shop and get them to break it loose with an impact from there I can take it off make the height adjustment and put it back on. I have a compressor it went south a few months ago. Btw , how much torque do you need to put it back on. I hope not as tight as originally when I first got it.
  6. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

and just a use a deep-well socket wrench to take it on and off from that point. It doesn't have to be on that tight. The dealers tighten excessively so you have to go back and pay to get them off again.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

They say use around 110 ft lbs but realistically a nut tightened to 70 or 80 ft lbs is never gonna come off.
  8. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I used a torque wrench to check the starting blade nut removal torque on our new Wright Stander the first time. The mower had not been used to cut grass at that time as we were setting the initial cutting height. All three blade nuts required approximately 80 lb-ft to start the nut. The manual did not give the tighteing torque. Dealer did not know torque and is "still trying to find out". I am guessing that based on the removal torque of 80 lb-ft the nuts were initially tightened to 70 to 75 lb-ft torque.