how to accurately measure loam

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GLADULANDSCPING, Apr 1, 2006.

1. GLADULANDSCPING

GLADULANDSCPING LawnSite Member

Is there a formula to use, by sq footage? please help, i looked through search and found no good answers!

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to help if I knew what a "loam" is/was !!!!! :usflag:

3. GLADULANDSCPING

some call it topsoil,

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you would use the same method for measuring 'loam' as you would use for measuring mulch.

5. GLADULANDSCPING

I Need A Formula

6. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

Divide The Sq Footage By 27 And That Will Give You Cubic Yards And Then Divide That Number By The Depth And You Will Get The Yardage You Need .cubic Yard Divided By( 1" Deep /12.00 )-or (2"deep / 6.00 )-or( 3" Deep/4.00 ) Or ( 4" Deep/3.00 ) Or (5" Deep/ 2.40) Or ( 6" Deep/2.00) Or (7" Deep/1.71) Or ( 8" Deep/1.50) Or (9" Deep/1.33) Or
    (10" Deep/1.20 ) Or (11" Deep/1.09 ).for Example You Have A 25,000 Sq Foot Area To Cover 3" Deep You Would Go 25,000 Divided By 27 And Then Divide That By 4.00 And You Would Come Up With 231 Yards Good Luck

7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

8. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i just learned this in school loam- is a soil that has a pretty balanced amount of sand silt and clay[​IMG]

9. GLADULANDSCPING

that was great info, greatly appreciated!

10. Boston11

Boston11 LawnSite Member

great for horse racing! I live about five miles from where the sand/loam for Churchill Downs, Santa Anita, and Turfway Park is mined...FY useless info...