1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to add a new employee

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gkell88, Sep 9, 2002.

1. gkell88

gkell88 LawnSite Member

I will be adding another applicator next spring. I would like your opinions on where to look for one, and how to go about finding the right person. I'm thinking about typing up a paper on the job requirements and the pay and benefits, etc. I was thinking about posting this in areas where young people congregate.
    Can you recommend places where I might get some good response? Do you think I could get responses if I requested written resumes to review?

Any advice appreciated,

Gary

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a community college nearby? That is where im planning on finding temp help next summer. I think that if the pay is enough, they may drop out of school, move out and work for ya. Try an employment agency. I know that our church helps many less fortunate people get jobs. I would call a few churches and ask if they have anyone they know that would benefit from a job. Then when you meet/interview them you can tell if they will work out. No obligation.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Using people like Church sponsored down-and-outers and college dropouts is the major reason why I quit recommending fert/weed applicator companies to my maintenance customers years ago. I got tired of my customers getting mad at me for their screwups. Even the majors hire people who don't know crabgrass from collard greens. One came out to a customers' lawn in January and told her she had crabgrass! Others have stopped by and left a bill but never actually did the work. My uncle's expensive sodded Fescue lawn was killed this summer by an overenthusiastic but unskilled applicator from an "upscale" company. He applied broadleaf weed killer wholesale to a lawn in 95 degree weather during a drought.

Heck, they could probably afford to hire better more knowledgeable people if they stopped covering the drives and walks in fertilizer they don't clean up!

I'm appalled that people hire "spreader pushers" instead of skilled applicators. I'm state certified, have PLCAA certification, college level courses in turfgrass, and even I have trouble diagnosing and dealing with lawn problems. How is some guy with a few hours of on the job training going to do a good job?

The McDonaldsization of America continues, where it's assumed that every job can be filled by a moron. Yet people complain that service sucks, too.

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

good points. for an applicator, you don't want some joe guy off the street, you want someone serious about the job.

you could try an ad in the local community newspaper