how to add accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BODIDDLY, Feb 13, 2005.

1. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

what would be a good way to add about 30 accounts?please reply from experience.residential accounts that is...

2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have several suggestions, all of which I am doing right now.

1 distribute fliers to the neighbors of current customers (helps keep the route tight).

2 I like townhouse work 3k to 5k so I flier every town house in a development. Put out 250 today.

3 A small ad in the community paper. let it run at least 6 weeks. I put mine out in mid march. This is more expenseive about $200 here but you WILL get calls.

4 Here's my newest million dollar advertising plan. (don't know if it will work yet but Im doing it). I watch the local real estate web sites. I note the houses under contract in the area I work. When the house drops off the site I assume it settled and that house gets a special "welcome to the neighborhood" flier. I have high hopes for this plan. It takes dilligence but I have hopes for a good return. Fliers only net about 2-3 new clients per 100 if your lucky. I hope to "sell" 30% of the fliers I leave this way. Get them before they even think about a lawn mower. This Idea works good too in new developments.

Good Luck!

-Paul

3. MYS

MYS LawnSite Member
    from DC

Well these are 2 ideas I have

1) Give a $5 senior discount.

2) A referal program.Like refer one new customer and you get your next cut half off. That is the best one probaly because you get the feferal to give a referal and it goes on and on. Also you arent loosing any money because you are getting more accounts.

4. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

use the search feature. Type in the word "advertising". Or just read a few pages of LS and you'll find many threads about this.

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Do a good job and let your work be your advertisement. I hardly advertise; most of my work is through referrals and word of mouth. It's the best work to get. Not to mention it's free advertisement

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Paul,

Take it one step further. Go to different realty offices. Supply a bunch of business cards. Often they are looking for people to 'spice-up' the place before a sale or open house. Also if you start a good relationship with them they can suggest to the homeowner that you do a good job, etc. upon moving in.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

1. I am always in touch with real estates offices'. If a house sets empty due to moving out of town, we mow it, do snow , keep it looking presentable.

2. Stay in touch with developers. Never know, landscape jobs, seeding, or just keeping grass mowed until house is sold. Then meet with the new owners.

3. Local hospitals. Offer your services if there to busy. Be a sub and you may gain some work.

4. Your local church or school that family atttends. Tell them you'll mow as a donation but also sell them your fert/spraying program as a 2, 3, ect step plan. Incorporate your snow removal into the plan as well.

5. Talk to the city. Get involved with a bike trail committee etc. Get into the crowd and mention your services. Maybe the local park, ball fields ect need your attention.

6. Run an ad for a period of 4-6 weeks.

7. As a side note to gaining customers - maybe you already offer all this, but maybe you should add some services to your business. IF your just mowing - maybe hedge trimming, gutter cleaning, spray/fert programs, edging service, power washing houses, decks, driveways, be a sub for a landscape firm and specialize in one area. Get into light construction - deck building, dog houses, back yard sheds, fence installs/design/build.

Just a few ideas.

8. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We use color flyer and door hangers in neighborhoods that we want to expand our services. The more stops on one street the better. We see about 1% return on both flyers and the door hangers. We will be putting ours out in the 1st week of March.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

A simple newspaper ad worked for me...Other guys I know put out flyers and got a good response.

10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

GOOD suggestions