How to add lights to exmarks

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Joe424, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Joe424

Joe424 LawnSite Member

hey guys,
    i have been mowing into the evenings and with it getting dark early i was wondering if any one has installed lights on their mowers. what all would i need to install lights? i wasnt planning on doing it myself if i could. i forgot to mention the mowers are both exmarks, a 48commercial full floating deck and a 32 commercial non full floating.
    thanks
    -geoff

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local farm and home store and buy any kind of 12 volt tractor lights you want. Your want them made for tractors because the are mounted in rubber for the rough rides. Then run a wire from your positive post to an inline fuse then to a toggle switch with a rubber boot. then to the lights. depending on the lights you may need to run a ground wire to the frame to complete the circuit. some lights groung through the light mount. you'll be surprised at all the insects that can keep up with you.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I dunno, I just went to the auto parts store and bought the smallest set of 55-watt Halogen driving lights ($20), and mounted them to the ROPS.

Points of interest:
    - Drilling through the 7 gauge steel is a PITA... I am glad I had several drill bits because I must've went through 3 of them in the process of drilling 6-7 holes.
    - I had to have extra wires. The wiring provided with the set was not nearly enough to complete the loop, glad I had some, you need about 10 or 20 extra feet of some 12 or 14 or maybe it was 18 gauge stuff (forgot).
    - I used a propane soldering tool to solder the wires together, then electrical tape.
    - As was said, connect to battery, also worry about the ground: I connected the ground to the - on the battery because I was not sure if the ROPS would be enough ground (what with the paint and all, plus I would've had to drill yet ANOTHER hole...)
    - Getting the wire through the ROPS is another minor pita. I used a stiff wire and pushed it through, then attached one of the cables from the light set to the wire and pulled it through the ROPS: Repeat several times.
    - Watch where and how you mount: I have folding Rops, unfortunately I had to mount mine on the top section because the bottom would've required something else, hard to describe, but before you drill: think about it real long and hard, I got lucky: The first holes I drilled were the only ones, I made no mistakes here (try not to, the drilling Blowz).

Good Luck.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The pics don't really do the lights justice, they shine up the night a lot better but I guess the camera didn't see things that way, anyhow:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Joe424

Joe424 LawnSite Member

I guess i should have mentioned that i dont have electric start so theres no battery on my mowers. my mistake. would i just be better off getting an electric start mower next time rather than retrofiting my mowers?
    thanks
    geoff

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you could install a battery and just charge it when it gets low. but much easier if the engine had a alternator.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I figured that..... :waving:

I read a post last year where a guy wanted lights on both his walk behinds. He bought a couple of Makita rechargeable flash lights with the removable battery pack. He fabbed a bracket up and strapped them on the control panel of his units, He said he got 3 to 4 hrs out of each then re-charged them in about a hour the next day.

Just a thought.....

8. Joe424

Joe424 LawnSite Member

ya thats not a bad idea. now the problem is that i have dewalt power tools like drills saws, impacts, etc. but no flashlight for them. where could i get an alternator for the kawasakis and would i have to have a battery too or can i just have an alternator?
    thanks
    geoff

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can purchase the flashlight attachment for your set, This is the style he used; http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=232 This one is $ 30.00, I'm sure you could find cheaper shopping around.

You would need a stator (alternator) and a flywheel, Which just a ball park price is $ 70.00 for a stator and $ 120.00 for flywheel depending on your model and spec. numbers.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Does you mower have an electric PTO clutch? If so you may still be able to put lights on it but they will ONLY work when the engine is running.