How to add more accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yokes, Nov 29, 2004.

1. yokes

yokes LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me the best ways to get more residential yards to mow.
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Door hangers, flyers, mailers, newspaper ads, etc....

I think most people on here will tell you that word of mouth is the best way to pick up new customers, and I would have to agree. I give my customers rewards for referring others to me. Something like a free cut if they refer someone that will be a full service customer on a regular basis, or yearly contract. Or give them $5 off of 5 cuts. You get the idea.
  3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Do good work and they will come. The key is to hustle and keep hustling to get work. Fliers, business cards etc., eventually you will find something to help you get work. Just knock on doors, they will open. Now is the perfect time to get work because contracts are up and it is the perfect time to aquire new accounts. What ever you do, don't ever be afraid of being told no. Good luck.
  4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

All the above. Business cards and that word of mouth is what helped me more than anything I did. You do great work, it will come to you.
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Another cheap way is to offer your customers a referral fee for every new customer they bring you say maybe $20-$25.
  6. kturner

kturner LawnSite Member

all of the above but it doesn't hurt to find a small cheap local paper. look around until you find one with very few other businesses advertising.

we get calls all year from one good organic market newsletter from top quality clients.
  7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i agree with all comments. the ad in the paper, which we place often costs $146/ 6 Sundays has helped us a lot. 3 line ad got us over $5,000 in return.

door hangers are useless. people throw them away. we offer $10 off when they refer a neighbor/friend.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Maybe YOUR doorhangers were worthless. Many have good luck with them. I picked up 10 jobs with about 800 doorhangers. There are many factors making a doorhanger work well.

Go to the Elements of Business forum and do some searching. What works for some might not work for others...and vice versa. If something doesn't work....ask yourself and find out why. Try something different.

Good luck!!
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I feel if you have a nice looking flier/Door hanger with some type of coupon on it and the custom knows what they are looking for they will call.If you can get you foot in the door with them then try to sell your service.
  10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I personally feel the best way to get residential customers is to first, pick a neighborhood you want to work in, or a street. Knock on the 4 or 5 doors and offer a street or neighborhood package if all will take you on. This works like a chram in higher end neighborhoods. your got one stop 4-5 accounts or maybe more. The next thing you know your servicing the whole area, and keep kncoking year after year. Volume and no down time equals big bucks.