How to adjust RPM's on 16 HP B & S Vanguard.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MRPLOW, Apr 8, 2001.

1. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

Could someone please tell me how to adjust the maxium engine RPM's on a 16 HP B&S Vanguard V-Twin. The engine is on a 52inch Wright Stander and is only running at 3500 RPM's. I would like to up to at least 3600 RPM's like the owners manual says to run it at. But the B&S owners manual only shows how to adjust the low idle RPM's. Anyone with any info please help.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That has to be done in the throttle linkage and at the stop when it's at full throttle. With the engine off, move the throttle to full speed and then look to see if the linkage is hitting the stop. If not, loosen the cable clamp and move it til it hits the stop. Then start it up and see if you have more rpm's. If not, adjust the stop so it will open up a fuz more.

3. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

I already adjusted it so that it went all the way to the stop, it orginally was at 3350 RPM's. How do I adjust the stop it looks unadjustable.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same exact problrem with the 16 vangaurd on a 52" scag hydro. The stop won't move anymore either.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is easy. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the engine down, lift the engine up and slide the mower from underneath of it. Now put the B&S down and pick up a Kawasaki 17 twin and slide the mower back under it. Lower engine, tighten bolts and go. :)

6. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

lol.......Your right there Richard. Love my FH500V....

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

But to tell the truth, a good friend of mine bought a new hydro riding mower (cheap Home Depo thing) a few years ago, and I did think about buying it just for the motor. It was a 16.5 B&S Vangaurd twin. Another friend of mine bought it from him for 400.00. Of all the cheap mowers I see, most have nice motors on them, but are really useless as far as cutting, and that's what there made for. BUT if they did make good decks............ well, I don't guess we'll have to worry about that!

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Briggs Vanguard 16hp best engine ive ever owned.8yrs no problems. Marks Mowing Service