How to apply liquid apps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Drivefaster35, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey guys I need some help on goin about applying a liquid application. First off I am Licensed and good to go however I do not have a whole lot of experience about a year in a half of fertilzing with a granular applications, whichj brings me to my next point. I have never used a liquid application other than spot sprayiong and have vary little knowledge about liquid apps. I do believe I will get a lot better results with a liquid app for broadleaf control. So, my main question is, is there a website or video I can purchase or something out there to help educate myself on how to make this applicatiuons properly without overspray, over applications, impoper application etc.? any help would be awsome the local extension office really wasent much help. :usflag:

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I always sprayed over to my last set of footprints for overlap. but you will need to figure out how much you are spraying per K. to do this you need to mark off 1000 k and time yourself while spraying. then spray into a 5 gal bucket for the same amount of time to see what volume you are spraying. should be between 1-2 gallon. then you adjust your mix to spray at that volume.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would suggest two things. Work for someone who sprays or find someone out of trade area and have them show you the ropes. You may try several businesses. You could pay them a consulting fee and get several perspectives.
    A person can become certified and not know even how to calibrate a sprayer or use one.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

get a spray-hawk or just stop putting the n out in liquid form. more money + less work= organic granular.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

there is no 1 answer for this ?
    first off how big of area per day r u trying to cover?
    what will u be spraying with?
    how big of truck do u have to move your sprayer?
    all of the above things factor in on what to use.

6. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Right now I plan to buy a 275 gallon tank, I have a f-250 powerstroke with plenty of power to haul just about anything around. How much area I will be spraying on a daily basis will vary from 50,000 sq ft to 250-300,000 sqft, and I will problly spary with a simple hand sprayer/hose reel type set up I'm really not sure though and thats why I ask for any suggestions because like I said I've only used granular apps before. It would be impossible for me to work for somebody else becuase I have owned my lawn care business for 9 years around here and have only been applying fertilizer the past year. Nobody wants to hire competition expecially around here its extremly cut throat the local economy hasent been the best the last 5-6 years any help though would be awsome Thanks

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Here's an Idea with liquid app. using a hose. Not the greatest picture but you get the idea.

Your truck is parked up front and you pull the hose to the far back corner of the property.You start about 3-4' off the property line and work to the house, but look at a point on the house so you stay in a straight line.Then you turn around and mark 3-4' from your last past and I do about a 1 ft over lap on the last past so you don't stripe the lawn. In this picture you see a flower bed so work up to that and then do the area from the flower bed to the house.

It does take some practice getting use to walking in a straight line while pulling 250' of hose.

hope this helps a little.

back yard mowing drawing 001 (Small).jpg

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to keep in mind, is that your hose is always going to be laying where your last row was walked, so you will b able to tell where your overlap is at. Depending on how you mix, many overlap 50%, which will bring you spray right to your hose that is still laying from the previous pass. I always did it this way, but had to be real real careful, as I ran a hot mix @ 1 gal. per M.

9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

forget all that the FIRST thing a professional sprayman HAS to completly know and understand is how much is being applied. You need o know how much you apply in a minute and per 1000 square feet.
    Mark off 1000sq. ft. in an area where you can practice again and again. Use marking paint. Run your rig at a setting with the spray equiptment (jd9, spray wand etc.) you will be using and time how much can be sprayed in a minute.
    Use a backpack sprayer for this. Do this time and time again so you know.
    Then go to your 1000sq ft and time how long it takes you to properly spray the area. this is extremly important, this is the basis in which labels are based how much pesticide per 1000 sq. ft . then just do the math.
    3 gal. per minute @ .75 per 1000 = 25 ozs in 100 gallons of water or whatever
    you get the idea.
    Its also good to remember there are liquid ounce and ounces by weight. When products come in wp or similar form the state oz per 1000 but they usually mean
    ozs by weight which is very different than by liquid measure.
    good luck. keep calibrating its great to know what your putting it sucks wondering.

10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

A couple things to look at.275 gal skid load on 3/4 ton equals ? weight,?do I have room for spill kit plus tools.do I need a annual commerical vehicle inspection.Am I gonna have Quick and correct loading facility?How much hose am I really gonna need.do I have a back up plan if the rig is down?