1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to approach 2009 mowing renewals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 3, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This subject has been in a few threads that I have been reading, BUT.....

In the last month of mowing for 2008, I already have my mind looking ahead to 2009, maintaining the good customers that I have, shedding the deadbeats, gaining business, etc.

My question is this: How do some of you vets approach getting mowing 'renewals' from your current customers for the next season (2009 in this case)? I really want to try to secure as much rollover business as I can before the snow flies and the holidays set in - I also want to know that I have a sound customer base so that I have some peace of mind going into the winter months. I have no doubt that all of my customers are happy ones BUT I want their business next season as well and I don't want them holding out until like April 2009 to tell me so.

So, how do you guys handle this? One good idea that I am considering is a year end letter with my last monthly statement, advising I PLAN to cut their lawn again next season unless I hear from the customer otherwise. I would also put the 2009 per cut pricing in with that letter (making some assumptions obviously about expenses). But, is this being too presumptuous? Has anyone had adverse reactions to such a letter?

Any other ideas?

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i send out letters thanking them for their business and ask if they would like me to continue for the next season, stating the price, any increases and job description. have them sign the agreement and send it back to me or i'll go pick it up. here in florida, i do it at years end, but when i was up in ohio, i would send out letters in february and asked them to respond by march 15th to be added to the list. if i didn't hear anything, i would call them.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

anyone else...
  4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Send out holiday cards at the beginning of December and lawn maintenance proposals, new and renewals, all in February.
  5. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I send out letters late February telling them we would like their business agen this year and we start in march. And to please call to set up a service day. if they don't call i call them march 1.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I send a letter about March 10. The season begins about April 1. This leaves about a three week window for a response. I ask for negative response only.

I also send my drop letters at the same time. I always drop more customers than respond negatively to my letter.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

i think this man is asking about now. All I read is march or feb. That is next year and who knows who may have spoke to the client by that time. I have started this year all ready getting the major accounts back for next year. Everyone is hungry and wanting more business or more importantly YOUR business.

Stay on top, go after those sales now!
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I send a self addressed stamped envelope with my last invoices (usually oct mowing, sometimes nov. mowing), and with it my proposal for next year. Usually it is at most a small increase. I also have check boxes for 1 thru 4 years on the price I quote that they may wish to lock in. This gives them a free way to send their check, and I have the peace of mind over the winter of knowing what is waiting next spring. Thanks, Brad

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Great idea flex