How to approach the big Wigs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by juanisthebigdog, Oct 20, 2004.

1. juanisthebigdog

juanisthebigdog LawnSite Member

I was wondering how do you go about contacting the big stores to see if they need anybody to do there landscaping. For ex. wal-mart,home-depot,grocery stores, banks etc. I know that most of them already have somebody taking care of there work. But it would not hurt to ask.

2. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Usually just call the main branch & ask who is charge of landscape maintenance. It usually takes 2-3 call transfers or other numbers to call to track down the right person. Most companies are on 1-2 year contracts, and can tell you when the next time they are taking bids. Keep the contact number & mark it on your calendar to call back at the appropriate time!

FYI- Pray that whoever makes the landscape decision is not "in bed" with a landscape contractor (i.e. their husband, friend, acquaintance ,etc.)

GOOD LUCK

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

true, this could kill you. if they are "in bed" then the price is already going to be dirt cheap, and when you finally submit a reasonable bid, its going to look astronomical compared the pennies they are paying now.

4. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Bribe :angel: the property manager(my accounts cannot be underbid, they dont even look). They buy me, Not my service. :drinkup: And U must have all the big toys to impress em and great service. Oh ya, Planet landscaping LLC is so not dirtcheap.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I guess you could say I am in bed with the person who does our spraying, fertilizing, clean ups and special ground work. I do it for my day job. We have an acre at our Plant and 3 at our Sales Office. One of the owners daughter's cuts the grass my wife and I do everything else. We get quotes from Weedman and other local companies and they go straight to my desk.