How to ask for a contract

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by T.Heck, Feb 21, 2006.

1. T.Heck

T.Heck LawnSite Member

How do you guys ask somebody to sign a com=ntract im a lil shy about stuff like that. What are good reason if they were to ask WHY??? Thanks

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

In jersey, for residents its now the law...well not just for mowing for for home improvement jobs over i think 1500.

3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

You don't have to ask. I give them an estimate with a contract stapled to it in an envelope. They either sign it there or sign it later and mail it back to me. It's a take it or leave it kind of deal. No exceptions.

4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

it's never been said better!!!

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

LB1234 it is $500 or over and I believe that it is cumulative not just one time.

I like how lwcmattlifter put it. I have always been a little nervous about making customers sign a contract. I think that we need to start training the public to view us as professionals in a professional industry and not just folks that cut their grass (as a whole).

6. LB1234

yep, I just checked the website. It was my understanding, lawn maintenance was NOT included. But we all know how MY understanding will hold up in the court of law!!

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just tell them what a contract includes. To me, it's a better deal for everybody. They have a choice. The majority of the time, they go for it.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey man (not to hijack this thread), it is not about your understanding, it is about NJ (nough said) who understands:dizzy: :laugh: :cry: ;)

9. LB1234

AMEN
    :drinkup:

Problem I have with the new rules I had to add in there wording to my residential contracts. Darn thing made it go to three pages with all the legal jargon that I already have. I'm trying to work it so I can fit it on one page. This is the last thing I wanted to be doing, reworking my contract.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I need your sig. here on the dotted line