How to avoid hour meter fraud?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by blaster2005, Mar 7, 2007.

1. blaster2005

blaster2005 LawnSite Member

I'm concerned about buying a skid steer which may have had the meter disconnected or tampered with! Any info would be appreciated!

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure why anyone would purposely disconnect the hour meter on a skid steer. Use common sense, if the machine says it has 600 hours on it and it looks like a trainwreck, chances are the meter stopped working, not because someone disconnected it.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, hours unless whether it is a question of if the machine has warranty or not, really doesn't mean much. Looks like Poo, smells like Poo, it has been treated like Poo and probably not one you want to buy. Skid Steer like no other equipment that I can think of can be destroyed rather quickly if left in the wrong hands or working in demanding conditions. I saw an A300 at the dealer last week. It had about 500 hours on it and it was beat to hell. It works in landfill for a living.

4. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

I like to call dealers with the serial number of the machine in question, if it is a later model machinery then the warranty service history will show the hour meter readings over the warranty period. You can pick up on a machine with a changed hour meter if the meter is showing less than what the service history file shows. If a four year old machine history shows that it was averaging 1000 hours a year for 2 years but now it only has 2200 hours on it then look for more signs of a hour meter switch. Not all hour meter changes are done fraudulently, on some machines if the seat belt interlock or charging system quits, it could be the same circuit board that houses the hour meter so the hour meter gets changed out with the board. I post a lot of information about how I inspect used skid steer loaders on my web site.

5. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a CAT, or has a ECM the hours are logged on the ECM as well as the hour meter. This can be a good thing unless the ECM has been replaced which of course will yield two different meter readings.