How to avoid tire ruts around trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ommegang, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

How do you guys avoid tire ruts around trees and such. I have used a ZTR for 4 years now and can't seem to avoid this. What, just not do a circle around it???

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Don't circle around the tree, bro. Pretend it's a square. One side, back up, next side, back up, etc.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same thing as Tim (93 chevy). Square the tree off. I lost a primo customer this year because her husband died. She could not longer afford me. The new guy scalps the grass to the dirt and has a ring around every tree in the yard. This is what the lawn used to look like.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what does it look like now?
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I knew someone would ask that. I'm going to get a pic next Thursday when I cut the next door neighbor's lawn. I'll post it here in this thread. They're actually one of my new neighbors. I liked the neighborhood so much I found a house to buy here. It's perfect.
  6. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

yup dont circle around them. we will go up to the tree on one side, then over to each sides. We trim around our trees too, so it doesnt matter how close we get to them per say. Our customers love us becasue of that. Yea it takes longer, but we dont have big circle marks of dirt around all of them. Seeing as if you have to go around a tree basically 2 times to get everything.
  7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Doing things a better way can take at least 60 second's longer.....well worth the time.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree I also trim around most trees, at least every other cut. So don't have to spin circles around them. If I do that, I choose to 3 point turn a square around the tree as others have mentioned.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i noticed my mower was doing this when i bought it new...i just thought it was something my new mower did...cuz my old residential model didn't do it....but i think it's just a commercial mower thing...they have bigger and wider tires with more grip on them...same thing when doing zero's easy for them to dig up the it's best to make Y turns and when i go around trees i just do a ) pattern and keep on going...then when i turn around and come back i do another ) around the other side of the tree...this is actually faster than doing a circle around the tree because when doing a circle you have to go back over what you've already cut to complete the circle and keep does leave a tad more to trim but it really doesn't take any longer to trim that little bit of extra grass around the tree....if it's a really big tree or a big round flowerbed then you can go around it without tearing up the's only when making small radius circles that it tears the turf.
  10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Please don't start blaming commercial mowers for operator error.