1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to balance blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adam5557, May 19, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys i am new to balancing blades and was going to go to home cheapo and get a cheap balancer for my self. When taking off metal on the blade to balance it where on the blade is the best spot to remove metal.Thanks and again i am new to balancing blades and have looked through previous threads.thanks.adam
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The heavy end.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i always balance mine with a screw driver. just set the screwdriver on something level, stick the blade on the driver and if it sits level then the blade is balanced. if it leans then grind off from the heavy end.
  4. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

So i should just sharpen the blade more on the heavy end?
  5. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Exactly what you should do
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

bingo. just sharpen on the heavy end til its level then you have a balanced blade.
  7. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

I think it is more important to sharpen the blades evenly keeping the cutting angle right and then if out of balance take some steel out of the non-cutting side of the blade to balance. Once sharpened, there is no point in taking extra metal off of the business side unless you have access to free blades. This has always worked for me. The screwdriver trick will work but a $3 blade balancing cone is usually better and if you are careful you can get results almost as good as using the $200 MAG balancer.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agee with everything but the highlighted area. You are incorrect on the last statement. I'm a stickler for perfection and I did it the other ways for several years. Then I got a magna balancer and all those "perfect" cone balanced blades were NOT EVEN CLOSE. You just think they are. Until you do a perfect balance on a magna and install on a machine to feel the difference you will never understand.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Hoss.

The magna-matic balancer is perfect.

On a scale from 1 to 10....

$3 balance cone...4
    Nail in wall...........1
    Small nail in wall....2
  10. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I agree with this one. Every new blade I bought this year has been out of ballance on the magna. The machines run alot smoother after ballancing them with the magna matice ballance . I bought mine on ebay for 150 and it is worth the money.