How-To Be #1 on Google

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Team-Green L&L, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me start by saying that I started building a website last winter with little knowledge of how to use html code. I was very familiar with how to get the site ranked though.

Here we are 10 months later and our site is in the "top ten" for 24 strong keywords that drive 308 unique visitors a month to a landscaping site!

How'd I do it? For a long time I would guard my secrets with lock and key (literally), but I like LS and I want to see everyone here prosper, so let's optimize some websites.

This will be a step-by-step lesson to optimizing your website. Please, no one post on this subject with techniques not already discussed by myself. There is a certain order to do the techniques for maximum optimization and, even if you know what you're doing, you may not know when...

Let's start with a ROBOTS tag:

At this time we are going to hide ourselves from the robots (search engines) until we have optimized our coding. Bad code makes Google unhappy.

Place this TAG in the head of your index or home page (and all other pages preferably): <meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">

Now, go to and check your code for errors. All these errors need to be corrected for good results. #1 importance is VALID CODE.

I will post the next step tonight.
  2. Team-Green L&L

If you need help with code validation please PM me. I'll have to see the errors to see what needs to be done.

Next step is to get listed on DMOZ.ORG. They do not accept every site, but our sites are normally accepted. Be sure to place it in the proper category:
  3. Gilligan

Gilligan LawnSite Member
    from Florida

All I can say is...THIS IS a GREAT topic...I started just last week on this very subject and had not gotten very far.....

Thanks in advance for what you are about to do!!!
  4. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great info. Should we start calling you Professor Stephens.
  5. Team-Green L&L

Just a little proof for the skeptics:

You'll notice that the keyword used here is "Cincinnati Landscaping". I wanted to dominate this keyword with a field of 1,780,000 results. I worked on this word for 3 months.

Remember that Sponsored links are not counted as the "top ten" because they pay per click for their ad space with Google Adwords.

6. Team-Green L&L

Now you'll want a report on what your "Top Ten" competitors are doing. This can be generated by research software or by an SEO expert like yours truly. Either way, you'll need this to know how to move forward. I good software for this is IBP 9 (internet Business Promoter) if you want to do it yourself.

See attached report for my results.

Attached Files:

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to validator but I don't get it
  8. Team-Green L&L

The internet reads code from a webpage that has a language (like English) that the internet server understands (not English). W3C is an organization that was established to govern that language, so they make the rules on what is "read" by the servers. In essence, they "approve" a language.

All websites must contain a "declaration of language" that looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "">

This tells the internet what language your site is written in so it can read it. Then you have to tell it all the information it needs to know to relay to the search engines. Like whether or not to allow the robots to read your code or follow your links. See above.

Keep reading if you are confused, but errors in your code are like errors in your language. You wouldn't understand me if I said to you, "zibideebablah" because that's not a language. You must fix these errors, or have someone like myself do it, for the internet to be able to understand the code.

Does that help you a little?
  9. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I understood that part but it says I have 41 errors, but I am still dominating the search engines. On most search terms I am in the top three if not the first listing. Only a few am I listed on the second page. But I am slowly bring my listing up on those.
  10. Team-Green L&L

The errors won't prevent you from being listed high as long as you have a "DocType" statement, but I'm sure you didn't get there in 60 days, which is what I'm teaching people how to do here.

By the way, what keywords are in the "top ten" with? Just ANY word is not going to get you traffic. They must be real powerful keywords. Check the results field on Google (see above photo) when you search the keywords you are using. Is the field 18,000 results or 1.8 Mil. like I'm doing here? If the results are less than 1 Mil. you are not "dominating" a keyword because the keyword is not being marketed, which means it is probably not getting "hits".

Be the user: I don't know where you are, but the keywords you really want to focus on would be "(your city) lawn care" or (your city) landscaping, etc. Where are you located. I'm going to see how easily I can find your services as a buyer in your area with a software called "Human Search Emulator" that I have.