How to beat Tru-Green?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by prosoil, Mar 20, 2008.

1. prosoil

prosoil LawnSite Member

We just started doing ferts and have found that a lot of people are unhappy with TruGreen not because of the service but just call, call, call, calling.. Does anyone have any proven techniques on beating out such a large compettitor?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont do fert but, if you actually use the chemicals you say you are using it would be a good start!

3. prosoil

prosoil LawnSite Member

Yeah, I have heard of that!

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I always say, you wont have to worry about me calling you at 845pm to try to sell you something you dont need. Plus we dont cut corners to make our production bonus because we work on quality not quantity.

5. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

That is how those companies get their business...they get leads and when they go to a house they leave a bid on every home in the neighborhood. They also have the national do not call list and call everyone that they possibly can that is not on that list. This is how they sell their business.
    I have a pretty good client base for fertilizations. When I give a quote I quote everything that I offer and then discuss with the customer to tailor a maintenance program that fits their needs. They can see everything that I offer and if they dont need the service I just take it out of the price. In my advertising I also list all of my services including fertilization programs, so when customers see my ad they know everything I offer and fert. will not be a surprise to them.
    I also have a price sheet for a big commercial spraying company, so my prices are very competitive to theirs. I price out 7 fertilizations for a year and usually I dont make anything from the first application b/c of the price of the product, but I also profit 100% from the other 6 ferts.

6. prosoil

prosoil LawnSite Member

Creative, does your price sheet reflect for all applications? I talked with a big utility spraying company today that gave me a price per acre for bare ground spraying but he wouldn't budge on anything else.

7. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

This makes no business since on many points.

The one I find funny is "but i also profit 100% from the other 6 ferts"
    How do you make 100% profit if you are using product?

8. CreativeEdge

Came out wrong, usually the price of my first application pays for the products for a year, so my other 6 ferts I dont have any out of pocket expenses other than time and gas...so no, not 100% profit...sorry to ruffle your feathers there buddy.

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

If you have 50 in product and you charge 100 per application it would be 100 percent markup, i think thats what he meant.

10. CreativeEdge

My sheet covers area by sq ft, front/back lawn, different turf in front/back lawn, aeration and seeding.