how to become a pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, Nov 25, 2002.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

ok so i want to make the jump and go all out with lawn maintenance

what do i need to do to become a professional and how do i need to go about it?

i'd like insurance...what kind, how much coverage, what should i expect to pay?

employees...how do i do taxes....all taxes

do i need special licenses

how do i get customers to become scheduled regulars...every seven days... so much a month?

what do i do to appeal to commercial accounts? i know they require insurance and tax id #

advertising... are there laws against door hangers? what are some effective advertisings?

I know there is a lot of information here. thought you guys might be able to steer me in the right direction, maybe tell me who to talk to and what to do.

Thanks for any help

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

let me offer this to you b4 someone else does in a not so nice manner...do a search on words like "insurance"..."marketing"..."business plan"...etc etc...it will take you many hours to read all the info you search for....after you have put some of your own effort into that, most of us will be glad to help you with more specific questions....there are 300,000 pieces of info on this site and the ?'s you asked above take in about 200,000 of them....so get searching...good luck

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, these questions have been answered a gazillion times in this forum by me and others. Have fun searching. Because I'm getting tired of typing it over and over and over....:D

4. scottishmaximus

from ohio

I have done searching on this site and will continue to do so. there are new people to the site every day and maybe they have something to say. Many topics on this site are repeated over and over: ex. doubles, striping, equipment. If you do not want to post to this message, that is fine by me. i know of the search feature and use it.
    If you would like to give me any advice it will be appreciated; if not that is fine too. I am pretty experienced in the lawn industry and just asking others for any advice. Thanks again

5. scottishmaximus

A little off the subject but do we have another scotsman(YOU)here on the forum:D

6. scottishmaximus

from ohio

sorry buddy, just a nickname

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Odin and Hoss...to borrow your words....AMAZIN'...just amazin...