How to become great?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by EJD Lawnpride, Jun 28, 2008.

1. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what you think makes your company or even someone else's great? I want to become a "Small Giant" in our area. What i mean is I don't want to become a big company with multiple crews. I want to be known as the best and be able to choose my clients and have them pay a little more to have us.
    What are some ideas to achieve this?

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats easy! quality work...that simple....:dancing:

3. billslawn89

oh..another thing is ...dependable! i show up the same day, week after week about the same time...people can set their clock by me! unless it rains then i'm all messed up...lol

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

1. Quality of work
    2. Always show up
    3. Always be personal (say 'hi' if you see them around town, etc.)
    4. Offer whatever services that the customer needs
    These 4 things have made our company the best in town

5. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Four things I try to strive with:
    1. Personable
    2. Dependable
    3. Reliable
    4. Quality of work

If you have all of these, you will have great customers that don't mind paying extra for your work. I have great customers, and if they need me, I aways call them back the same day and resolve their problems within 24 hours. Customers love when you are there for them. I have great customer retention and they always pay. With all that said, This is how you can become great, without the headaches of having multiple crews. Hope this helps.

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Use a great existing customer as a tool to land another. I just brought a new prospect to one job still under construction (not too far from his house) to see similar scope of work (raised patio-similar dimensions) first hand. The existing client was praising us and how beautiful the job was and how great we are to work with..bla, bla, bla. Because of this, I just landed another pool, patio, gazebo, and outdoor kitchen and will be picking up the deposit cheque tomorrow. Works all the time for me-good luck.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

All good stuff here...

Would like to add "Sharp Blades" to the list(s). Higher quality work is then performed more effortlessly...AND, the turf will heal much more easily.

The same can certainly be said for ALL pruning equipment.

All our work is there to be observed and judged...long after we leave.

8. EJD Lawnpride

Theses are all good ideas, which we strive to do. When you say quality work do you do the basic mow,trim,blow or do you do extras? What exactly do you do to offer quality work? Also, i think customer service is the #1 important area,what do you do in this area?

9. EJD Lawnpride

I have been in business for 4 years now and have 140 residential and 2 commercials. But would like to really be known as the best lco in the area. Not just for the quality of work,which we could try to do better,but also with customer service. How do you achieve this? what are some things we can do to offer the best customer service?

10. billslawn89

how many people do you employ?