How To: Bed Cutting

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cutman2000, Sep 13, 2012.

1. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

I gotcha. Could save a lot of time but I don't see the price of one paying off because I'd have to go back through with a spade and make them deeper. I don't do anything HUGE though. Usually a couple hundred ft each property tops. I'd see the advantage though if I were doing say apartment complexes or commercial.

2. charmill26

Get yourself a spade shovel with a D handle. You'll be much happier with the results

6276552b-785f-4750-9328-65be0039a6d6_400.jpeg

3. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have tried square spades, but it hard ground or rocky soil they are terrible. Maybe in light sandy soil but I haven;t had great luck with them. I am not the one looking for advise, I know what works for me and I stick with it.

4. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Jersey

i use the shindaiwa trimmer. just go slow, and it looks just as nice as the other ways.

I turn it up-side down, and do it just like you would you would edge sidewalks with it. if their is alot of over growth, go a little slower.

5. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

So you're using your string trimmer? I've used the string trimmer to edge walk ways before, works pretty good. But are you telling me you're also using it to edge mulch/flower beds? And if so, you still have to scoop/clean the inside(bed) with a shovel, right?

6. kawasaki guy

Male, from Jersey

after you cut the edge, just use the trimmer to get it off the ground. then, then rake, (where needed)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. kawasaki guy

Male, from Jersey

just editing my last post (time limit ran out) it needed more info

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. charmill26

I'm saying kawasaki guy is wrong but I don't understand where a trimmer could ever come in handy for it unless you're using a trimmer for the same reason I use an edger for. I dont understand what using a trimmer to get it off the ground means. I use an edger just to draw an outline on the grass. You can not use a trimmer to dig down 4-6 inches of dirt and clean it out of the way. Nothing other than a shovel is needed for a clean edge (a flat shovel if you want it to be as clean as it can be) and it is extremely simple once you spend the time to perfect it. Can find more pictures of real edges is wanted

9. zippy-phil

zippy-phil LawnSite Member

following post