How to bid commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cs12bigfoot, Feb 2, 2007.

1. cs12bigfoot

cs12bigfoot LawnSite Member

I've been in the landscape/maintenance field for 3 yrs now since I graduated college. I have had a few large commercial accounts come and go over these 3 years. Does anybody have a standard that they use for cutting grass do you bid it by the square foot (if so how much) or do you just guestimate how long it will take based on past experience. The reason I'm asking is I know I have been low balled before but this year I can't seem to get any of the accounts I've been bidding. I am probably high on pruning and pinestrawing. Also do you guys just include pruning or do you charge extra. By including I mean do you bill for cutting year round and stop when the growing season ends and then just let that extra money include your pruning. Thanks for any help.

2. perrys landscape service

perrys landscape service LawnSite Member

I've alway's just bid all jobs on how long I think it will take and any extra materials I will need.I do not just mow grass,I offer my customers full maintenence.If they want someone to just mow their lawn they need the kid down the street.Pruning is included in all maintenence contracts.The only time I charge extra is when I have to buy materials such as mulch,flowers,plants,or fertilizer/chemicals.Sometimes I may charge extra to prune large trees.I guess we all get lowballed from time to time.If it happens too often then maybe you are bidding too high.