1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How To Bid On A Commercial Account

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Steve's Mow & Trim, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

I already mow residential and commercial accounts, but my commercial accounts came to me through referrals and advertising. A man I used to work for at our local country club is now the head chef at a different banquet facility. He mentioned something about making a bid on the lawn maintenance for the new banquet facility. I do not know how to go about doing this. I would really like to pick up this account. The previously guy charged $250 a time I think he said. What should I bid, how should I bid, Who should I contact on my bid, How should I organize my bid, and should I mail a bid, or call? The property has about 1/2 acre of mowing and is on a hillside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out who to contact from your friend. Contact that person, introduce yourself, find out IF and when they want bids, what is expected of you (just mowing, seasonal contract, yearly contract, insurance requirements, etc.) then bid accordingly. Do you have the resources to mow the property (mowers, labor, insurance, etc.)? If so, then what are your costs to mow the property?(labor, costs to run mowers, insurance, drive time, etc.) How much $$ do you need to make to offset your costs and still make a profit? Submit your bid and ALWAYS followup with a thank you call or letter to the contact person in a week or so, and wait for a call back. Just my 2 cents, but it is no different than bidding a residential, know what you need to make and make it. Dont worry too much about what the other guy was getting, Why is he not there now??? Maybe he did $hit work, and they're looking for a new guy? maybe he's out of business b/c he didnt make a profit? Dont know... find out from your contact person. Ask lots of questions, dont feel like you know it all, the customer will like that you ask questions to cover all bases, and become informed of their needs. Hope this helps, Good luck. If you want it bad enough, you'll always win!!
  3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice Matt,
    I'd be careful too to cover all of your bases. Maybe the account was a PITA or slow pay. These are not good in commercial or better yet any contract business. Best advice....find out what is expected of you then meet or exceed those expectations. Just as Matt said, if you follow this simple formula, you will be very successful.
    Good luck!
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

$250 for a half acre?

Something doesn't sound right there. You'd better double check what the facility is going to expect as far as the services they want you to provide.
  5. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

They want it mowed, trimmed, blown, fertalized in spring mid summer and fall, and leaf cleanup during the fall.....No extra charge for the fertalizer of leaves, included in the weekly charge....full service. Mowed every 4-5 days...Its a wedding and other banquet facility.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe $250 per month......better be real sure. And if it is $250 per cut then there is obviously more than mow/blow/edge/fertilize. If not bid $225 and go for it!