1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to bid on this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mad_wrestler, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Well ever since I have started, I just keep estimating incorrectly on the big jobs! I looked at a lawn today. It is about 3 - 4 acres. In the front there are many pine trees which have littered the yard with pine cones and branches. The front is about an acre. She has a few flower beds to
    weed-eat around. I say it would take twenty minutes to weed eat the front. In the back some tree limbs have fallen and there is one tree to cut up (about 60 feet tall). The back is about half grass and the other half pine needles with weeds popping up. Mainly walk through weed eating. There is a brush pile about 4 feet tall and 10 feet wide that needs removal too. I think that I could do it all in 6 to 8 hours, with my brother helping. I could also get another guy and pay him $10 an hour to pick up stuff. I told her that I would charge $85 per truck load to remove debris. She said the last guy charged $70 for the front and $80 for the back. Mowing only. Like an idiot I said that sounded reasonable....thankfully she said," are you sure?" Then I said that I would go home and put together an estimate for her with more precise numbers.
    She also wants her mothers done next door. Less trees. About 3 acres. More grass. I explained that the first time would be more expensive and she was fine with that. So what you all charge for this kind of work? And how long do you think it would take.
  2. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I am asking without the story. I was trying give good details. Thanks!! :)

1. Price for mowing.
    2. Price for picking up debris in yard prior to mow.
    3. Price for tree cut up and any other piece that is too big.
    4. Price to haul off
  3. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

240.00 to mow
    50.00 for pine cone removal
    Tree would be at least 100.00
    Haul it all away 85.00 sounds good per truck load

Can't you just mow the cones over? or are they too hard
  4. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Lightning is right. 4 acres, 4 hours, 240 bones! I'd mow the cones and forget about where they land. 60 bucks an hour for rest of job...probably 200 for cutting up pine. They seem to eat up chains.