how to bid spring and fall cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Artisan group, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Artisan group

Artisan group LawnSite Member

I have recently been asked for pricing on spring and fall cleanup on large commmercial jobs. I am new to turf management (been busy doing landscape construction and irrigation) and don't know what kind of time it will take on these properties. Can I give them an huorly rate and negotiate how long when the time comes.

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get them to agree to an hourly rate that is good. only other way is to try and figure how long it will take you.

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to include the tipping fee for the landfill. Over here it's $55 a ton.

4. Artisan group

Artisan group LawnSite Member

thanks guys, I have some times figured out but I have never been on these sites in the fall so it is hard to have an idea of what I'm getting into. I was basing the times off of my mowing time and the acreage. Will this get me close?

5. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Look at your surroundings, check out the canopy of the trees, and what type of trees they are. try to picture all the leaves on the ground and figure out how long it would take you. We go roughly 70-100 an hour per person for fall clean ups, removal is additional fee. If you have the option of a collection system on your mowers, once the leaves start to drop, just suck them up every week, but still charge the same price as the final fall clean up bill. This will give you less work when you finnaly do stop cutting and all the leaves hit the ground.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

If you do go with a monthly fee (which is what we did this year and we were happy with) try and take into account the type of tree and when the drop their leaves. Around here the pin oaks won't start dropping to mid-november while the bradford pears really last all the way to december, whereas the maples seem to fall end of september.

In other words, If you have a high concentration of a particular type of tree (like the guy we have with mostly maples) his yard is basically done by mid November.