1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to bid with lots of trees and shrubs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by doctordun, Sep 2, 2007.

1. doctordun

doctordun LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Everyone in my area has 1 acre lots. I told my neighbor I would mow and trim his yard for $40 since my yard only takes about 30 to 40 minutes. I didn't count the extended time it took to trim all of their shrubs and trees, haphazardly placed all over their yard. I also didn't count that I would have to break out my 21inch to mow a fair portion of his yard that my 60inch z couldn't reach, because of very low over hanging tree branches. They were literally in my face while seated on my z.
    It ended up taking me about 1.5 hours. Live and learn I guess.
    I will have to get more experience in judging time to do a job.

Is there a rule of thumb to go by when bidding or just learn by doing?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you're doing swell on the self-learning curve to me, other than someone might've forgotten to mention there's a couple of rough spots, now if it makes you feel any better I went to that same class, took several of those exact same lessons, yup, sure did.

btw I get $60 for an acre lot, 50-55 works well also but not less, never quote below 50 for 1 acre as a rule.
    Two acres for around 90-100, 3 is around 120-140, it's slightly less with each additional acre, etc, etc...
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I ALWAYS look to see how much of the Trimmer I will have to use. Thats what takes the longest and all the walking.
    I bet it wont take you as long the next cut. Never does for me atleast.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I agree with this...I would add that you should upcharge from these prices when you will have to use a 21" or there is alot of trimming.
  5. doctordun

doctordun LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Oh yeah. There was a nice 4" tree stump covered in grass that was totally hidden until my front wheel ran over it. Luckily I stopped before any damage was caused. After reading about this in other threads, I couldn't believe it happenned to me on my first paying job.
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who is on a corner lot and has a lot of trees with low hanging branches. I originally charged her $50 per cut. After a few visits I realized I underestimated the difficulty of the property. I sent her an email telling her that I had to raise her price to $60 per cut. She agreed and now everyone is happy.