how to bid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by alwaysgreener, Jan 20, 2004.

1. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Hello everyone I need some help here. I just received a call from a new commercial account that wants all my services, that’s great but the client wants me to take care of the irrigation on a 10 acre lawn. Here are the requests.

1st visit-early spring turn on system and test
    2nd visit-fall turn off and winterizing
    All repairs, replacements, parts, and labor to repair or replace parts if needed are extra.

The problem is I need someone to help me out on how to bill this job or should I sub-contract it out. Thanks
    :eek:

2. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

Alwaysgreener,

The maintenance side is the best way to learn about systems; however I would suggest subbing it out/seeing if they would let you tag along to learn the basics. You should, as I'm sure other's will suggest, read the irrigation tutorials from Jess Stryker, which are very informative. Just do a search for his name on google.com. The spring startups usually just consist of turning on the system at the main shutoff, running through each zone , and adjusting heads as necessary. Head adjustment information can be obtained from the manufacturer's websites. You may also need to adjust the controller, again info should be available on the manuf. sites. Winterization is a little more involved, it normally involves using compressed air to evacuate nearly all the water from the irrigation system. On the size property you described it sounds like a good sized compressor will be required. most use a tow-behind around 200 CFM for residential.light commercial. Around here those rent for around 85 bucks/day.
    Most on this site are very helpful whne you post questions, so don't be affraid to ask, we all started somewhere.
    All information above is just a brief overview, some go into greater detail some do less it varies. PM me if you have any questions, oh and by the way if you have a minute please check my post in the commercial landscaping and in this forum regarding outsourcing and tell me what you think, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

3. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

In re-reading the original post I didn't really answer you question.
    I woul dcharge your normal hourly rate for all labor and possibly a set amount for a service call when doing repair work. Some usually have a set fee schedule when doing starups and shutdowns, and some just charge per hour labor rates+parts involved. I don't have a lot of the figures here with me now, but I'm sure others will chime in with there numbers and I will try to locate some information for you.

kris

4. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Kobisk,
    Thank you very much for the reply. I did contact a irriagation expert in my town. He is going to help me out and when the time comes closer to spring. Yes he also said it is a large a property and he has the compressor for what I need. Also I contacted my client and he has all the specs for it. so thanks to you I'm on my way to learning more and making more. Again thank you very much.

Dean
    DReda@alwaysgreenerlawn.com