How to bid??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michindi, Feb 3, 2004.

1. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

I am very new to this business and learning all the time. I want to get into commercial and I have no idea where to start. So how do I bid on a commercial lawn and go about the whole thing?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you are a newcomer to the lawn business I would avoid commercial properties until you gain some experience bidding and servicing residentials. Commercial properties can be very tricky to bid and even tougher to service. Most commercial contracts require you to have a minimum of 2 million dollars of liability insurance here in FL.

If you're set on trying commercial..I would start with a gas station, party store or some small office building with a small lot. That way you'll get the feel for dealing with commercial accounts.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I could not have said it any better .... best advice for all ..... let's see a great 2004 -;)

4. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd stick with residential customers for a year or two. Commercial properties are very tricky to deal with without doing a lot of research. If you spend a year or so reading posts on lawnsite about commercial properties then you will be ready. (not saying you aren't ready to do the work but you've got to also be able to put up with their s**t).

6. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great info.

7. Danny Harrison

Danny Harrison LawnSite Member

Hi! I am new in this business too, and the advice I was given was to check with other lawn company's in your area. In cent. FL it is so competitive. I only have a few acct. and when I leave to do them I see 15- 30 other lawn company's. Any other advice as to pricing or marketing?!!

8. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Danny, if you dont know your true costs and production times, bidding will be like trying to light farts on fire --- youll get some, but youre not sure how you arrived there.