1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How To Blow A Engine In 50 Hours......

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Restrorob, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Customer had us pick up his mower for "warranty" repair, Said it wouldn't start.

I found out why in less than two minutes......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Air filter is plugged up solid except where he installed the window so it would run......Part of a filter is better than none right ?

Never checked the oil from day one until a couple days ago when it started making a noise, Then added a "little".......

Engine is totally burnt up and seized......

Folks...... Sorry to inform you but...... Warranty doesn't cover stupidity...... :nono:

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty pathetic. I would imagine if you are going to spend a few thousand dollars on machine.u wanna make it last....ii guess some people don't care. We clean our filters once a week and check oil daily

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly, i wouldnt expect to clog the filter AND run out of oil in 50 hrs. Obviously this nerd knew about it since he cut that hole but still....

4. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

darwin's theory of evolution

alive a well

5. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

wonder if he used the "tool" on his head that he used on the air cleaner after he heard "No Warranty"? Geez, even Christmas spirit doesn't go that far, like is said on here "Ain't no cure for stupid"

6. Restrorob

DING DING DING....... And we hava win'a ^^^^^^.......

From the amount of grass that's stuck on the inside flywheel fan, I'd say the filter plugged with-in the first 15/20 hrs...... With the new window and sand we have here in Florida, It doesn't take long to wipe out rings and a cylinder, This thing had to been smoke'n like crazy......And he kept on go'n...... [​IMG]

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Back when I ran my own shop..I would see a few of these every year..
    Would hardly ever see it on commercial eqpt...those guys tend to protect their investment..
    The homeowner that shopped for the lowest price mower was the usual culprit...
    If he was truly interested in buying a rider that would last...he woulda got a Kohler Command...IMHO...

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Rob don't you have a policy that the customer is always right:laugh:

9. Restrorob

Sure we do, But..... It doesn't apply to idiots......

Sad part..... A replacement engine cost 3/4's the price of the whole machine when purchased......

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you opened up the oil filter yet?