How To Blow A Engine In 50 Hours......

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Restrorob, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, No point in spending another minute on it.....

2. balms

balms LawnSite Member

Gotta give that motor credit for hanging in there for 50 hours. I'd like to think that my maintenance procedures will give my equipment a good long life after seeing that.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Don't be sad Restro, let the guy know he can go to Harbor Freight and get a brand new engine :rolleyes:

ericg likes this.
  4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

not a mower but similar deal. a neighbor up the road who is an attorney did the same to his brand new f150. never checked or changed oil. he was maybe 35-40 years old if not older then. it is a 97 or so. he seized the engine in less than 20,000 miles I believe. it cost him 9,000 to fix. he said he never knew he had to check or change oil or any of that stuff. I don't know how he went 25-30 years of owning vehicles and not know this basic stuff. he still drives it to this day. must have tought him something at least.

5. smallengineshop

smallengineshop LawnSite Member

I had one guy this past year that had one of those cheap twin cylinder BRIGGS on a poulan he brought it in to my shop and said it doesn't have high end power "it just needs a tune-up" I put it in the shop and find the one connecting rod is snapped and a piece had went thru the block... so the TOUGH briggs continued to run on one cylinder:) I also had a guy that bought yard machine from me that I got in on a trade. Next day he comes driving back in the lane with this mower on his trailer and complains it wont start I check it out and see oil covering in the whole mower. I open the hood and find the dip-stick sit unscerwed on top of the fill tube. He had checked the oil but didn't tightener back up... You would surely think the spray of oil in this face would of alerted him to something being amiss:confused::laugh:

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

I'd say something is definitely amiss.......or ajar!!!

7. kwwolfe

kwwolfe LawnSite Senior Member

Just goes to show that people do not read manuals. Plus, if he punched the hole, sorry...window in the air filter housing, he must have known that the clogged air filter was the problem. Not for nothing, but I read every manual for my power equipment. If I don't have it, I download it.

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

My step brother did that on a dodge v6 ram. Bought brand new in 07, in 2010 with 48000 miles the motor locked up. He claimed he didn't know you were supposed to get the oil changed, what did he think we were doing at the oil change place all the time..... $2200 mistake learned him real quick....

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

And that makes you a minority among many. But the scary part is what I deal with, is guys that think they know what they know, if that makes sense.....

10. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Idiot is right. It doesn't take more than a minute to knock most of the gunk from the air filter so you can reuse it. Yet this guy punches a hole in the top! To run an engine low on oil is just, what's that word, stupid!