How to break in new 2-cycle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys break in a new 2-cycle piece of equipment. I've heard from more than one mechanic that you should start it up and run it full throttle for 2 minutes to get everything seated properly.

Of course, it IS a 2-cycle which are made to run at full throttle although that's not usually practical but it seems a little hard in reference to an engine that is fresh out of the box. On the other hand, there must be some reason for this being the recommended method.

Any thoughts?

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i let it idle for a full tank then let it run half a tank at half throttle... it takes about 4 tanks fulls for it to get seated properly and run with most hp/cc's.

3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you would just run it normally?!?!?!?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Stihl recommends NOT running at full throttle or high revs for three tank fulls till properly seated.

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

yeppers, read that in all 3 manuals

6. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

I would not run a new 2 stroke wide open for two minutes. The proper way to break in a new two stroke motor (from my experience) and get the rings seated in a reliable motor is through multiple heat cycles. Start it up, and run the motor at no more than 1/4 throttle (don't run it at 1/4 throttle for an extended period of time. I normally let it idle, blipping the throttle intermittently during the first heat cycle) until the engine is warmed up. After the engine gets warmed up, shut it off, and let it completely cool down. After the motor is completely cool, start it back up, and run it at no more than 1/2 throttle (don't run it at 1/2 throttle for an extended period of time) until the engine gets warm. After the engine gets warmed up, shut it off, and let it completely cool down. I'll do one more heat cycle getting up to quick shots up to 3/4 throttle. After it cools down from the last heat cycle, I use the motor up to 100% without heavily hammering it for the first tank or two of gas. My .02....

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok. Thank ya'll.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I run it balls to the wall from the day I get them. Have some weed eaters that are 6 years old. Hedge trimmers at least 5.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I just run it as usual, but try not to get it hot first tank or two, so break in the morning for a couple of tanks. If it is not blowing oil, which is not likely with modern ring materials the rings are seated. I broke my T-270 in this spring by dumping out the dealers gas, filling with Amsoil and goin to work.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I do the same and never have any problems! Thats what they are made for and I demand equipment that works from day 1!:p