1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to bring mass death to carpenter ant colonies

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by luketrash, May 27, 2004.

1. luketrash

luketrash LawnSite Member

I have noticed 3 different carpenter ant colonies in my yard. I'm looking for ways to kill the ants, but not kill the grass.

They make about a 1.5' circle of dirt up above the grass, and I want them gone, so they don't start gnawing on my house.

What are some good ways to kill them off?

I don't have any pets as of yet, so that's not a concern. I have seen bug killers that spray with your garden hose and I wonder if that stuff is any good? It's about 10-15 bucks for a bottle of it...

In other news:

My yard originally started out looking pretty ratty when I moved in this winter. I've been mowing about once a week though with my rider, alternating directions with my rider (east-west/north-south)

Last night I decided to break out the lawnboy push mower to do a diagonal pattern in the front yard. I'm really liking how simple mowing (and a lot of rain) has helped bring the lawn up to par.

I had several brown spots and grassless spots I threw down seed on in April, and this is what my front yard looked like after last night:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There's some granular stuff I've used........................
    Can't remember the name...................
    Sprinkle it around the lawn and it takes care of them.
    I used on a house we were selling,can you imagine why?

Sorry,can't think of it...........
  3. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Sorry,can't think of it...........

Talstar PL?
  4. lordfam

lordfam LawnSite Member

Could have been diazinon crystals. This product is no longer marketed due to health safety concerns.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm still coming up blank...............It's the age thing I guess......................HAHA

Talstar does ring a bel but.............it may just be the bell in my belfry.............don't know.
  6. knuckshemi

knuckshemi LawnSite Member

We have fire ants, I will try to kill mine, but the guys next door dont, so every year it is the same thing. And I have 30 acres, it is a full time job, but if you ever get stung by a few, you dont mind to bad.

Good Luck