How to build a driveway?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by eruuska, Aug 22, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in need of more driveway space at the house, due to all the assorted vehicles, trailers, etc., that I've accumulated. I've got space to put it, I'm planning on about 20x70 feet of gravel drive.

What sort of prep work is required? Do I need to dig anything out? Do I need a base other than just the gravel?

Help me out, boys.

2. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

well funny u should ask. Me and my dad just did a 500x32 wide driveway upstate. On the ground originally was topsoil. As you guys now when it gets wet it sinks. We needed to dig that pout and we put 12" of #4 rock/sand mix. Once that was compacted over a year, we then put down #2 crushed stone. Or you could put down crush n' run which compacts like concrete but looks dirty becasue it is made up of rocks and rock dust where as #2 crushed stone is just driveway stone. This is what we did upstate no saying this is the only and best way but it held up 35 tons of rock when the tractor trailer came to deliver a load, and they had to come about 6 times. Alomst 200 tons of rock delivered. And the driveway held up. IMO LawnInOrder

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Just built a huge parking pad and drive 120 semi-loads approx.
    we graded the soil and laid the class 5 18in+ thick. the semi's and trucks packed it down we will add as needed. Fabric all soil first.

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

We put crush n' run about 3 inches think across a 1200' long section of my driveway that is about 14' wide. That stuff is great. We laid it down in two days and it rained on the final night. That stuff is concrete. It is a little dirty and has a small amount of dust over 10 mph, but it is amazing. It held up great when we got over 3" of rain in 30 mins earlier this week. My dirt parking lot was washed out, but the driveway was in great shape except for a few washouts on the hills. I would highly recommend it. We rented a small steam roller to compact and used a compactor on the edges. Hope this helps. If you want some pics let me know and I'll take some.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Basalt 3/8" with fines is real popular out here, its similar to what you call Crush and Run, but its black. You end up with a nice hard, mostly smooth finish after compaction.

As for the origional question. Dig out about 12" of topsoil,You may want to consider putting in a barrier fabric, then bring in standard road base rock, (Whatever your pit sells to the highway guys), or alternatively recycled concrete. Use about 8" of this. Compact this with a power roller.

Once compact, bring in 4" smaller rock with fines. I prefer 3/8" basalt, but whatever you like/can get.

You want the fines, as its interlockes the aggregate and makes a very hard, very smooth road.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Was curious about millings. Highway job is giving away millings....was thinking of taking some to topcoat our 3/4 stone parking pad.

Anyone ever use road millings...you know the chewed up asphalt...

7. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

The millings are would work very well. Put them down and compact it and after a couple hot days it is almost like asphalt. And how do you beat the price?

8. LB1234

Thats what I thought...but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, if a paver company is getting rid of them what the heck is wrong with the millings.

9. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

They always do that around here . Most of the time you have to pay for trucking but it varies on the company and their contract.

10. LB1234

Oh, I was assuming I can just pull up with my dump trailer....Next time I'll call and find out, I need to put in a turnaround and parking pad at my new house.