How to build your own stripe kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkr1, Jul 29, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If anyone is still interested in building your own stripe kit/roller, let me know. I was part of the thread about building your own. I built mine for about $30 and it works the exact same as the one Exmarks sells 10 times as much. I put it on my 52" Exmark HP...
    Here is a pic...

stripe.jpg

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

$180 on Ebay, and save the hassel. The rollers will last longer than the conveyor rollers, there heavier, made for the job, an it bolts right on;)

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

jkr will you tell me?

4. Groundscare

Groundscare LawnSite Member

I just purchased the stripe kit for my new Exmark Lazer Z (72") it cost $ 375.00 from Exmark. I used it today for the first time I am rather pleased with the results.

I am going to build the rest of them myself for my other machines.
    The cost to build one seems rather inexpensive & the results are well worth it.

If anyone has built kits for Grasshopper mowers. Please email me with particulars @ Groundscare@aol.com

Thanks in advance ...

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Piece of rubber skirting set down 2" bolted under the anti-scalp rollers woks fine too.

Cost? About 25 minutes;)

6. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

JRK1 could you let me know how you built yours exactly.ie roller size,bolts any brackets, thanks for your help, scott. I also have a 52 L HP.

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

not a real good pic

hmm. can't post pics tonight

8. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

I just told me dealer to throw in a roller kit and give me the Kawasaki for the price of the Kohler when I bought my LHP 52". If he said no I would have walked. I love my new mower!!!!:D

9. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I ordered a 39" between frame, 1.9" diameter roller(galvanized) from McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) - Search for "roller" and then select conveyor roller. You'll find it.

This roller has a 7/16" hex shaft that allows you to fit it exactly between the back of the 52" deck.

1) Go to Lowe's or HD - get 4 large fender washers, 4 stainless steel bolts(w/washers and nylon lock nuts). Also, buy two galvanized steel mending plates (brackets) 6" (I think same aisle). The ones I bought already had holes drilled in them. I just had to make them slightly larger to fit the axle from the roller and the bolts. You need to also buy two cotter pins (same aisle). I think I bought 1/32" or maybe slightly larger...

2) Remove your back 2 anti-scalp wheels.

3) Cut your brackets down to size (I used a reciprocating saw/sawzall) and then if you have a bench grinder, grind/round the end that will be closest to the grass (so it doesn't snag anything if you hit a bump).

4) Line up the bracket with the holes on the deck where the anti-scalp wheels were. Drill the holes large enough so the axle can fit thru it as well as the bolts.

5) Attach brackets to the deck using bolt/washer/lock nut(I can't remember if they are mounted inside or outside of the deck - Just test which way it fits). I mounted two bolts to each side so that the roller axle/shaft fits in the last/bottom hole.

6) Drill small holes in the ends of the axles so that once they extend beyond the steel bracket, you can put the cotter pin in place.

7) Put a fender washer on the axle, put axel into hole in mending plate, put another fender washer on outside and then put cotter pin in the axle hole.

That should be it... You should be able to all this for about $30. It's lasted me all year (of course, I only use mine for my own yard - 1.5 acres). It shows no signs of wearing out yet. If it does, all I need to do is order another $13 roller next year! Much cheaper and same results...

Good Luck....

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

exact same way i built mine with the exact same parts. just be careful over big bumps, the spring inside the roller that keeps the axle from sliding through will break like it did on mine however it still works just fine. Much better than payin $300 for $25 worth of materials. I would also advise that you get something stronger than those galvanized mending plates from Lowes, bends too easy, go to a local metal shop and get some 1/8" flat.